[SOLVED] PC freezing for a couple of seconds [randomly]

Christian Ortega

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my PC for 2 months now. My computer will randomly freeze for a couple of seconds. During the event of the freezing, there are things that I noticed.
  1. I can still move my mouse but the screen seems not responsive when I click (icons, links, apps, etc.).
  2. The Numlock light is still responding as well.
  3. I have noticed that during the freeze, the HDD light indicator on the casing is not lighting at all except for the power light (which means, there's no HDD activity at all)

After a couple of seconds, the HDD light indicator will finally light and the system will respond again like nothing has happened. Then, the same issue will occur again few minutes later.

Things that I've done so far:
  1. I started troubleshooting the software first.
  2. Run Sfc scan but no faults found
  3. Performed the DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  4. Windows 10 Reset PC
  5. I even freshly installed Windows 10 and updated all drivers.

(same issue is still happening at this point)

1. I started troubleshooting the hardware.
  2. Run memory diagnostics - no issues found
  3. Run HDD Regenerator to check for bad sectors - no bad sectors found
  4. Replaced the hard drive
  5. Replaced the SATA cable
  6. Replaced 2 memory modules (I have 2 RAM sticks installed btw)
  7. Tried running the PC using integrated graphics only

At this point, the same issue is still happening. I'm kinda frustrated right now because I don't know what to do next. I don't know if there are some applications that can test the motherboard. Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

PS: My PC specs:

Mobo: Intel DH61BF
CPU: Intel i5 3470
RAM: 8gb
HDD: 2TB
Video: GTX 1060 3gb

Solution
Same issue here - Win 10 latest update. There are zillions of folks having similar issues including another post here today - but on that, he had a hard freeze. Mine only lasts maybe 10-15 seconds but the mouse will not move curser. Sometimes happens as cursor moving to freezes a track of it.

I think I have also had like you when you can move mouse pointer but clicking doesn't work. But the biggest issue is the short term freeze every few minutes seemingly random. Nothing shows in the event log.

I have a totally different system (laptop not a problem on my PC)
ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU,

davephx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Same issue here - Win 10 latest update. There are zillions of folks having similar issues including another post here today - but on that, he had a hard freeze. Mine only lasts maybe 10-15 seconds but the mouse will not move curser. Sometimes happens as cursor moving to freezes a track of it.

I think I have also had like you when you can move mouse pointer but clicking doesn't work. But the biggest issue is the short term freeze every few minutes seemingly random. Nothing shows in the event log.

ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU,

Solution

Christian Ortega

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

I also noticed a lot of people having the same issue. I'm trying now to fresh install a Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer, with the same hardware and let's see if how it goes.

BTW, what are the troubleshooting steps you've done so far?