Question pc freezing for no reason. Please help!

May 9, 2019
My PC keeps freezing for no reason. i got new ram sticks and i cant seem to figure out why its freezing.it could be in the middle of a game, watching YouTube, and even surfing chrome. here are my Specs

1)What PSU do you have?
2)What are the specs of your new RAM?
3)Specs of your old RAM.
4)Have you properly configured the new RAM in the BIOS?
5)Have you tested the new RAM with memtest86?
6)Does your motherboard have the latest BIOS version?
7)One of the temperature sensors goes way up (80+ C). Can you identify which component it represents?

May 9, 2019
1)What PSU do you have?
2)What are the specs of your new RAM?
3)Specs of your old RAM.
4)Have you properly configured the new RAM in the BIOS?
5)Have you tested the new RAM with memtest86?
6)Does your motherboard have the latest BIOS version?
7)One of the temperature sensors goes way up (80+ C). Can you identify which component it represents?
My PSU (which im asuming is power supply unit) is a deepcool DA 500
my new ram is the Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM
i dont know my old ram because this is a custom built pc that we got from someone. it was unmatched 8 gb with 4 sticks thats all i know
i havent configured it but it was freezing with the old ram too thats why i got new ones
i havent done a memtest
i dont a lot of pc details so i dont really know what the bios is, so i havent upgraded it at all
for 80+C it says motherboard but i dont know what part sorry

The PC could be freezing for a lot of reasons. It could the PSU, motherboard, RAM, SSD, HDD, etc. What seems to be difficult on your case is that this PC is old but completely new to you and that complicates things a lot. You may have a failing hardware component that's causing those freezes or it may be an OS/software issue in which case you have to format the OS drive and re-install windows.

I think that you should start from the 2 HDDs. Run a scan for errors and also download Crystal Disk Info and check their smart/health status.

If both drives prove to be fine, you have to test this PC with another PSU. A bad /faulty PSU would cause a lot of freezes and restarts. The screenshot you posted shows some strange voltage levels but we can't be sure without knowing which voltage each reading represents. Download CPUID Hardware Monitor and post a screenshot.We need to know the +12V, +3.3V and +5V readings. Alternatively you can find those readings in the BIOS. Check them and post here the results. If the PSU is indeed failing those reading would be out of spec.

Finally if a 2nd PSU doesn't solve this issue you have to format the OS HDD and re-install Windows. Alternatively you can get a new SATA SSD and use it as the OS drive. SSD prices have fallen a lot lately. A SSD would be a great upgrade and will definitely speed up this old PC. It may also fix the freezes (if they were caused by the HDDs). Good luck.

EDIT. I forgot to mention that a motherboard component could be overheating (80+C) thus causing those freezes. You have to manually check the two most important motherboard components, the chipset and the VRM. If you don't have an infrared thermometer, you could try to touch the chipset and VRM heatsinks. If one of them is too hot, you may have found the suspect. Be careful though since you have to check those components while the PC is operating. You should ground yourself (by touching a metal grounded object) and only touch those 3 blue heatsinks on the motherboard. Also if one of them is over 80+C you could burn yourself so again be very very careful.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS