PC Freezing in games

Nov 14, 2018
Hello,
I have had issues with my computer randomly freezing at any moment in games for months now, It has been returned TWICE to the store and every component was checked and stress tested TWICE.
Each time they found that the CPU was failing, and replaced it with a brand new one, but I know for sure that it is not the problem since I dont really believe 3 brand new CPU could possibly be deficient.

The computer will randomly freeze, for some games it will freeze way faster and more easily. I do have to say though that it does not seem to be freezing during intensive/ hard to render parts as it can freeze while the game is paused..

Here are the systems specs :
Windows 10 version 10.0.17134
Mobo Z370 SLI PLUS
bios is from 06/07/2018 so it's relatively recent ( tried changing it did not work)
CPU I7 8086K
RAM 2*8Go Sport LT Red DDR4 2666Mhz CAS 16 DR
PSU Raider S 550 W
GPU Cerberus 1070TI 8go
Barracuda 1To
960 EVO M.2 NVME 250 Go

The only things I dont know how to get checked are my peripherals :
Corsair K70 keyboard
Razor Lancehead mouse
Logitech G533 headset
DELL SG2417 monitor
and a wifi USB dongle

Could the problem be coming from the peripherals? Especially from the mouse??
Software-wise, would it be useful to do a full windows reset and wiping the drives?
Could anything be causing all these CPUs to fail? ( two 8700K and one 8086K) ? The motherboard? The problem seems like it gets worse and more frequent each time..
Do you guys know of any issue that cant be found with stress tests?
Thanks a lot for any help !

CPU failure (especially on such a new CPU as yours) would be VERY low on my list of potential culprits...unless it's an overheating issue.

1) Run a stress test on your RAM (Prime95 Blend) for 24hrs
2) Provide temps during the Prime95 run (I like HWMonitor)

Nov 14, 2018

Also, I have monitored every temp possible during any stress test, and they're all really good
never exceed 70 on the CPU and 60 on the rest

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What store is this? To have this many *CPUs* die seems extraordinarily unlikely. If it were the case, a competent store would be asking some serious questions about the other parts because they would know this was a highly unusual scenario.

Have you tried a different PSU? While the PSU is an OK entry-level PSU, it's also old and curiously low-quality relative to the parts. Given the lack of blue screens and the likelihood of no temperature problem, something gone wrong with the PSU is probably where I'd look next even with a high quality PSU (even those can sometimes fail). If the CPUs are actually failing, a power supply is one of the likely culprits after all.

It would also be worthwhile to try running your PC for a few days without the GPU, just to take it out of the equation.

Nov 14, 2018

Did not set up any max temp, it just is a really well cooled GPU and it's very cold where I am, basically it runs at 62 67 max in games

Nov 14, 2018

It's a well known french store, I think they're legit.
This is the thing though, With all the troubleshooting I have done with them we found absolutely nothing.. they just run extensive stress tests on the computer (PSU included)
I dont have any other PSU to try the computer with is the thing.. Wouldn't they find it if the PSU was bad with the OCCT power supply test that was ran for 2hours?

I could try to run the computer without the GPU but I only encounter the crash in games so how do I actually test the PC? run the games with only the CPU?

Since they did an extensive troubleshooting and they're professionals I was thinking maybe the rest of my setup is the issue, but I dont know how to find what's the issue.. So far the only things I couldn't swap out with another one to test are the mouse and the monitor..
I've been told mouses can cause those freezes.. How do I know if mine is responsible? and why would it only crash the PC in games ( even when I'm not using the mouse..).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I've seen a lot of PC repair incompetence by perfectly legitimate stores. Hell, assembling PCs is *all* Cyberpower/Ibuypower/etc do and we see epic fails in assembly and repair here all the time.

Nov 14, 2018

But what am I looking for exactly? every fan spins, every composant seems to be working .. I dont know what to look for.
I only know several technicians checked it every time I returned it, sometimes in front of me, the PC is from Materiel.net btw.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The next thing I would do in your position would be to swap out the PSU. Given that it's already a fairly low-quality one and old and your specs are in the high-end range, I'd be looking to that even *without* a related issue.

Nov 14, 2018

Do you have any recommandations for a specific brand?
If I wanna be able to easily upgrade my GPU what wattage would you recommend? 850W?