[SOLVED] PC freezing issues

May 26, 2021
Hey, so I've had a bit of a history with my prebuilt PC freezing/crashing and showing BSOD in the past. I'm not at all good with PC's, hence buying a prebuilt one (which I have been shat on by friends for.) Luckily I could send it to be repaired without cost as it had warranty. It would freeze at random times, whether I was gaming or just casually surfing, and it started a couple of months after I got it. When it was sent back the report said they couldn't replicate the issues, they couldn't actually find anything wrong with hardware nor software, which is understandable as it would happen at random times, (not sure what tests they ran though.) The report also said that they reinstalled windows and reset BIOS pretty much. To my surprise, the PC was working perfectly fine. Until a few days ago which is about 6 months after it was sent back to me.

The exact same thing has started happening. The PC will freeze and stay on whatever screen I am on, can't move the mouse, can't ctrl alt del, I have to hold the power button. If I'm watching or listening to something the sound will turn into some sort of loud constant static noise. I have not got any blue screens though. I've done some things to try and maybe find the problem, without success.

What I've tried: Updating all drivers, running memory test (no remark), disabled hardware acceleration, disabled fast start up, tried games/videos on low settings/quality, checked temperatures (never overheated), always have at least 100 gb free, scanned for corrupted files (it found and fixed one but issues still remained after the scan.)

Things (maybe) worth noting:
-BSOD's that I used to get were: Kmode Exception Not Handled and Unexpected Kernel mode trap.
-The PC will at most times beep once on boot but it will still freeze.
-The freezing will mostly happen in the morning when I have just turned the PC on. After a couple of hours and it freezing a few times and me rebooting it, it will work normally for the entire day. Until the next morning. No clue what that is about.

Specs:
Intel® Core™ i5 (i5 - 8400, 2.80 GHz, 9 MB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti Up to 4 GB - 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
256 GB SDD
Power supply: 500 W

I can try to reset BIOS, since that's what seemed to work last time, but the problem still came back, so I have a feeling it might just be a temporary fix. The little knowledge I have tells me that this might actually be a motherboard issue, and I fear that. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, tips? Thanks a lot in advance!

Solution
Download and run HWInfo.
The voltages of the PSU reported by the motherboard are in the motherboard section.
You are looking for +12, +5 and + 3.3.
You want them to stay within 5% of these values at all times.
HWInfo lets you log these values to a file right up to a freeze if you want so you can look at it after.
You may even see bad voltage values before it freezes.
May 26, 2021
More out of curiosity...have you checked the temps?
Although I don't really suspect the temps.
I'd be suspecting the PSU because it's a prebuilt and likely has a really crappy PSU.

I have nitro sense running and it's around 40 degrees celsius when idle and 60-65 when running a game.
Thanks for the tip, do you know if there's any 'simple' way to test if it's a PSU issue or would that have to be done by opening the case and somehow testing it that way?

Download and run HWInfo.
The voltages of the PSU reported by the motherboard are in the motherboard section.
HWInfo lets you log these values to a file right up to a freeze if you want so you can look at it after.

Solution
May 26, 2021
Download and run HWInfo.

Well, if these numbers are accurate then this isn't looking too good, is it? https://ibb.co/ZcGcr7M

I'm surprised it runs at all.
HWINFO is usually accurate for me and it's the best I've found for general "checking of voltages".
I agree with Jay - surprised it runs at all. You might want to double check with HWMonitor as well to verify those readings. I use HWINFO and it works great, but, the last time I did an update on HWINFO (awhile ago), the newly installed version was misreporting frequencies on my cores. I uninstalled that version and reinstalled an older version and it has been working fine ever since.

Reactions: Amanduh