Question PC freezing - No BSoD

Oct 13, 2024
Hello everyone,

My PC is randomly freezing. It could be after 5 minutes, 5 hours or while booting. No BSoD. I thought it was just the mouse and keyboard that stopped working but anything running in the background, like a virus scan or an update also just froze. The only thing I could do was to hold down the power button and reboot.

This is what I've tried/checked to no avail:
Unplugged all USB
Reinstall Windows 11
Install Windows 10
Fresh Install Windows onto a different HD
Memory checks
Hard drive error check
CPU is not overheating

The only thing I can think of is that my PSU is failing.

I had the PC build by Scan here in the UK a few years ago, it's a custom 3XS.

Specs;
AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS WS X570-ACE motherboard
64GB of Corsair DDR4 ram
RTX A4000
NVMe M.2 1TB SSD
2 Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD
Corsair 1000W PSU

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reinstall Windows 11
Install Windows 10

Where did you source the installers for your PS? Did you install the OSes in offline mode, later installing all relevant drivers meant for your platform in an elevated command(i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator) with the latest drivers without the internet?

Fresh Install Windows onto a different HD
Along those lines, did you make sure all drives were disconnected except for the one you intended to install the OS on? You might want to include a screenshot of what you're seeing on Disk Management.

ASUS WS X570-ACE motherboard
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

64GB of Corsair DDR4 ram
Got a link to the ram you're using?

NVMe M.2 1TB SSD
Make and model of this SSD?

Corsair 1000W PSU
How old is the PSU?

The only thing I can think of is that my PSU is failing.
If you think it's the PSU, you can rule it out by sourcing(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal. If your lock ups disappear soon after then the PSU was at fault.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
How are you cooling the processor? Make and model of your case? Ambient room air temps? Temps of the processor when the lock ups happen?

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
Have you looked at the logs? Swapped ram modules around? Try booting with just the boot drive in only, disconnect the others.
As you say, could possibly be psu? If you can get another psu to swap over to try or test the old one.