PC freezing on startup

goohole

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
My pc has been crashing/bsoding for awhile. the bsods have gone away, but when i start my pc it will still freez after ive logged in. I have tried deloading the drivers and installed an earlier version, which is the reason the bsods have stopped i believe.
specs:
Dell Studio XPS 435T
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz
RAM: 8GB (3.99 GB usable)
64 bit OS.

Solution
Hello goohole,

Can you manage to get to your account at all before your PC freezes? Or does it freeze before that? What is your OS? Windows 7 or 8?
If you can get to your account, there are a few options to try.
You could use the Last Good Known Configuration. It will return many important settings to the states they were in the last time Windows started successfully, hopefully solving this problem.
You could load into Safe mode and use System restore. Windows could freeze, stop, or reboot during the startup process because of damage to a driver, important file, or part of the registry. System Restore will return all of those things to their last working order.
You could try to make an automatic repair. In Windows 8 this is found in...

CK_WD

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello goohole,

Can you manage to get to your account at all before your PC freezes? Or does it freeze before that? What is your OS? Windows 7 or 8?
If you can get to your account, there are a few options to try.
You could use the Last Good Known Configuration. It will return many important settings to the states they were in the last time Windows started successfully, hopefully solving this problem.
You could load into Safe mode and use System restore. Windows could freeze, stop, or reboot during the startup process because of damage to a driver, important file, or part of the registry. System Restore will return all of those things to their last working order.
You could try to make an automatic repair. In Windows 8 this is found in the Advanced Startup Options menu. You could also try and boot from the Windows 8 Installation media:
1. Insert the Windows 8 disk or flash drive and boot
2. From the Windows Setup screen, click on Next
3. Click on Repair your computer
You could also do a Refresh Your PC (again for Windows 8). This enables you to get Windows 8 to reinstall itself onto your computer. And while installing a fresh copy of itself, Windows 8 saves your user account, your personal files, your apps downloaded from the Windows Store, and some of your most important settings.
1. Open the Charms bar and click Settings
2. Click Change PC Settings to open the PC Settings screen
3. Click General from the PC Settings screen’s left edge
4. Scroll down the right side of the PC Settings screen’s General section. Under Refresh Your PC Without Affecting Your Files, click the Get Started button
5. Click Next
6. If asked, insert your Windows 8 disc, flash drive, or whatever else you used to first install Windows (you can’t use the Refresh option without this Windows 8 disk/flash drive)
7. Click the Refresh button
Windows 8 refreshes your computer, using any files it needs from the disc or drive you inserted in the previous step. It may restart a few times during the process, which usually takes less than a half hour.

If you have Windows 7 you'll need to boot from the DVD again.
1. Follow the instructions
2. Click on Repair your computer. This will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options
3. Follow instructions further

Note: these processes are for repairing Windows, you don't need to click on Install, as you already have OS installed. Remember to remove any external hard drives so that the repair would work properly.

You could also clear the CMOS. This is the BIOS memory on your motherboard and it will return the factory settings. A BIOS misconfiguration could also be a reason for freezing. If needed, replace the whole CMOS battery.

Lastly, you could try and reseat your PC parts once you turn off your PC and disconnect it from the power.

If nothing works, I hope you can find some answers on this support page of Microsoft:
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2681286/en-us

I hope any of this will help you!

Best of luck!

CK_WD

Solution

goohole

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
I recently bluescreened. Im assured the problem is not fixed. Under the impression its a graphics card issue, perhaps a bad drive. Here is my dump file's copy pasta:
==================================================
Dump File : 100314-42089-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/3/2014 11:40:59 AM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
Parameter 1 : 00001fa0`01080000
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : fffff800`03099325
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.18409 (win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\100314-42089-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 288,272
Dump File Time : 10/3/2014 11:43:07 AM
==================================================
Truth be told I dont know if this dump will assist anyone in helping me.
Also, I can not do any form of system restores, since there are none saved. I also cannot return to factory settings because I dont have the disk(s) to do so.
For the user who asked, im on windows 7. I recently have run full system scans for malware ect, and they came back with some minor things, and quarantining the found items has proven to not solve the issues my pc is having. To relist them, my pc issues are BSOD, Freezes, and random restarts. Usually these problems occur during a gaming session, or nearly immediately after I restart my pc and log into my account.

CK_WD

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello again,

The “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error message means that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory address for which it didn't have permission. IRQ are interrupt requests that are sent to the CPU through south and north bridges. Possible reasons for this to happen are installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS, corrupt software installations, corrupt system files, faulty hardware devices; the bug code 0x0000000a means it could be a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with this version of Windows, though this usually happens after upgrading the OS. Most likely it's a driver, so you should check if all of them are up to date.
I'd suggest you do a memtest, check your CPU and RAM sticks if they work properly and uninstall your GPU drivers and install them later again.
Also, usual options to fix this are the Last Known Good Configuration option from the Windows Advanced options menu, disabling memory caching of BIOS, uninstall your video card drivers. For more detail on what to do, if you decide, this article from the sdn.microsoft site should help you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560129

Best of luck!

CK_WD