Question pc freezing or just stops responding and needs a hard restart

jesse_82

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
hey everyone, so i have this problem for a while now and i haven't found a single solution. The problem is that my pc freezes frequently and that i need to hold to power button to turn it off and on again.
So, there are 4 ways i know of where this occures. First way is that when i am playing a game or watching a video that it suddenly freezes. The sound continues but nothing else does, ctrl+alt+delete does nothing and alt+tab does neither. the only way to use my pc again is to hard reset it at that point.
The second way is that my screen just goes off, not as in it needs to be turned on again but it just shows a blue screen with a text that says that nothing is plugged into it. This can also only be fixed by hard resetting.
The third way happens only when i am watching a video.What happens is that the video that i am watching is loading for a really long time. Andtharloading a page or loading any page on my browser just loads forever (never waited that long to see it loaded, cuz i think it never will). i looks like that my internet just stopped working even tho it says in the bottom right that i still have a connection. Then when i try to close the browser everything just stops responding, like my windows explorer, my taskbar, my browser even my task manager. The only way to fix this is to hard reset.
the fourth way this happens is similar to the third way but then it is just that i am on a game and it stops responding and then everything stops responding like the third way. also only fixable by hard resetting.

I update my graphics card driver every time and update every available windows update. but still it does this at least once a day.
i think i have all drivers installed. my specs are:
8 gb RAM
gtx 1060 3gb
intel core i5 4670 CPU 3.40 GHZ
3 hard disks

please help me because it is really annoying and i have it for such a long time now

jesse_82

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
What is PSU make and model?
What are GPU and CPU temps under load?
Is latest BIOS installed? (and Intel Management Driver along with it)
Are you running any OC anywhere?
psu= Cooler Master B Series B500 V2
temps under load are gpu= 40 C cpu= 70 C
i have no clue how to update latest bios.
i dont know what oc mean.

Download the software Hard Disk Sentinel
Once installed, have a look at each Disk and it will tell you if you have a HDD problem. if you can take a screen shot of each disk and let us all know, if you don't understand what it says.
Basically if it says the health of the drive is under 80% you got some serious disk problems.

Example image
75c6b5cb_HDS.jpeg

jesse_82

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Download the software Hard Disk Sentinel
Once installed, have a look at each Disk and it will tell you if you have a HDD problem. if you can take a screen shot of each disk and let us all know, if you don't understand what it says.
Basically if it says the health of the drive is under 80% you got some serious disk problems.

Example image
75c6b5cb_HDS.jpeg
how do i insert a screenshot?
it says that the disks are all 100%

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
psu= Cooler Master B Series B500 V2
temps under load are gpu= 40 C cpu= 70 C
i have no clue how to update latest bios.
i dont know what oc mean.

So the PSU is a poor quality one - so it could be something to look at.
Is 70 degrees the max temp reached?
Updating BIOS should be first step - you can find this in your motherboard manual. Along with this you'll want to update your intel management engine driver too.

Overclock is what I mean, apologies!

jesse_82

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
So the PSU is a poor quality one - so it could be something to look at.
Is 70 degrees the max temp reached?
Updating BIOS should be first step - you can find this in your motherboard manual. Along with this you'll want to update your intel management engine driver too.

Overclock is what I mean, apologies!
oke so i just checked the temp again this time it is 90 max degrees. how can i check overclock?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you don't know how to check it, then you probably don't have any overclock on - as it is a manual process.

That could well be your problem - 90 degrees is quite high - ideally you'd want to keep it a 80 degrees and below. If it is regularly reaching above 80/85 degrees, this can definitely cause slow downs.
What CPU cooler are you using?
When was the last time you fully replaced thermal paste and reseated the cooler? Also gave your case a big clean?

jesse_82

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
If you don't know how to check it, then you probably don't have any overclock on - as it is a manual process.

That could well be your problem - 90 degrees is quite high - ideally you'd want to keep it a 80 degrees and below. If it is regularly reaching above 80/85 degrees, this can definitely cause slow downs.
When was the last time you fully replaced thermal paste and reseated the cooler? Also gave your case a big clean?
i checked on my CAM and it says that my clocking speed is almost max
maybe i did i a long time ago manually but i dont remember

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Doesn't necessarily means it's overclocked - you could just be running at your boost frequency.

What about the other questions:

jesse_82

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017

i cleant my case last time 4 months ago. i have no clue what kind of cpu cooler i am using