PC freezing randomly, no bsod

huttser

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
This started happening yesterday as I was trying to open a jpg. My pc just froze, and would not respond to anything forcing me to do a hard restart by holding down the power button. It has been now doing this completely randomly anywhere from not posting, to about 30 to 50 minutes of use in. I have a backlit keyboard and mouse that will sometimes act as if the power has been cut when the pc does freeze and the lights turn off. It has frozen and gone blank in safe mode with networking as well. Ran Avast! and nothing came up, have done chkdsk and the windows ram test thingy as well and everything seems to be fine.

My Build
Biostar TA970
Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB 128bit
12 gigs of ram (2x4gig kingston, 2x2gig Gskill, both running at 1333)
WD HDD not sure the model number specifically 320gig
LG DVD-RW drive
OCZ 700sxs2 700w psu
random usb devices attached (wifi dongle, mouse, keyboard)

This motherboard was installed about 10 days ago and it has been fine running whatever I throw at it untill yesterday. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
QUESTIONS:
Did you do a FRESH INSTALLATION of Windows on the new motherboard?
Did you install the proper drivers (MAIN CHIPSET especially) from the motherboard support site?

1) Try running UBUNTU from a DVD (not hard drive) long enough to determine if you still crash (use FIREFOX or whatever).
a) If it crashes still the issue is likely hardware.
b) If it doesn't crash there may be a Windows or other software issue.

2) REMOVE all non-critical components like secondary hard drives (just unhook both cables) or your wi-fi dongle while you test.

3) SWAP parts that you can (keyboard, mouse, video card etc.).

4) run MEMTEST (www.memtest.org). It MAY be better than the Windows version though I don't know for sure.

5) Update the MOTHERBOARD...

huttser

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

My cpu is idling at like mid 20c temps and doesnt go higher than 50 when I was gaming. Ive actually had this cpu and gpu for over a year now on my old motherboard and have never had an issue with it. Im hoping the problem isnt my mobo, but im not sure exactly how to go about proving that. Although the gpu could be failing considering I bought it used. The most graphic intesive gaming I do is tera and thats at about 2 hours max. My gpu temps dont seem to go any higher than what I see other similar builds and models go

QUESTIONS:
Did you do a FRESH INSTALLATION of Windows on the new motherboard?
Did you install the proper drivers (MAIN CHIPSET especially) from the motherboard support site?

1) Try running UBUNTU from a DVD (not hard drive) long enough to determine if you still crash (use FIREFOX or whatever).
a) If it crashes still the issue is likely hardware.
b) If it doesn't crash there may be a Windows or other software issue.

2) REMOVE all non-critical components like secondary hard drives (just unhook both cables) or your wi-fi dongle while you test.

3) SWAP parts that you can (keyboard, mouse, video card etc.).

4) run MEMTEST (www.memtest.org). It MAY be better than the Windows version though I don't know for sure.

5) Update the MOTHERBOARD BIOS if an update exists.

Solution

huttser

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Yea a fresh version of windows 64 bit was installed after formatting my hard drive which used to have the 32bit version. Im in the process of reinstalling it again and keepingold files and during the setup where it has to restart it actually froze on the windows logo screen again. Ill try updating the bios next since I dont have access to an ubuntu dvd atm.

huttser

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Also forgot to mention yes all the main drivers were properly installed. The pc was working fine for 9 days in which I used it for over four hours straight during most of those days with no issues and fast boot up.

huttser

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Really wanna thank that helped because just figured out the issue. It was the damn motherboard. Thank god I didnt sell my old mobo because when I rehooked that up and installed windows 32bit and everything again, everything has been working perfectly with no freezing. Funny thing too is that when I was still trying to reinstall windows on the biostar mobo, it got to a point where it wouldnt even post. Guess ill stick with my old asrock and ddr2 ram haha.

That's what RMA is for.
Return the motherboard, then reinstall Windows 64-bit once you get it back. Remember to run MEMTEST, update BIOS etc.