Question PC freezing randomly

Jan 5, 2021
I’m experiencing a lot of issues after switching out my motherboard, CPU and RAM. The PC will freeze at completely random times (doesn’t matter if it’s under high load or not) and it will stay that way until I force reboot it. One time the little spinning wheel appeared during a freeze and it spinned for a second before disappearing. So it’s not stuck in a “lag” per say.

Usually there is no blue screen of death but it happened once, the error message that appeared:

stop code: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
what failed: rspndr.sys

I googled the error which led me to think something was wrong with the hard drive and/or windows. I bought a completely new SSD and clean installed Windows on it. Still it freezes. I bought a new cooler for my CPU and switched places for the RAM. It still freezes.

This is driving me crazy since nothing seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas or should I just return the cpu, mobo and RAM and simply buy new stuff?

Very thankful for any help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you reinstall your OS after swapping out the motherboard? You also forgot to mention the specs to your build with a before and after. Check and see which BIOS version you're on at the time of writing.

Jan 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you reinstall your OS after swapping out the motherboard? You also forgot to mention the specs to your build with a before and after. Check and see which BIOS version you're on at the time of writing.

Thanks for your answer!

Yes I did reinstall Windows on a new SSD and also updated drivers for the motherboard. My setup is:

Before:
Motherboard: MSI Z170-S02
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k 4GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GB DDR3 4GBx4 (16GB total)
GPU: RTX 2080ti
PSU: 750W, not sure of brand
SSD: Samsungs 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: 1TB (very old)

After:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO mATX
CPU: Intel Core i9 10850k 3,6GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 8GBx2 (16GB total)
GPU: RTX 2080ti
PSU: 750W, not sure of brand
SSD: Samsungs 860 EVO 1TB

I think I might have found the culprit though. I followed the exact steps described here under "Solution 2" and "Solution 3". After this it has not crashed yet, and I've used the PC for almost two days now which is longer than I managed before. I'm still not confident it is solved but if it managed a few days more I'll get back and mark this as solved. :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
So the steps I described earlier has actually not solved the issue. To my disappointment it has started freezing again after about 3 days. It's very strange as it seemed to have fixed the issue and I was using the PC a lot. Anyone have any ideas on additional troubleshooting steps?

So the steps I described earlier has actually not solved the issue. To my disappointment it has started freezing again after about 3 days. It's very strange as it seemed to have fixed the issue and I was using the PC a lot. Anyone have any ideas on additional troubleshooting steps?
[/QQ
I’m experiencing a lot of issues after switching out my motherboard, CPU and RAM. The PC will freeze at completely random times (doesn’t matter if it’s under high load or not) and it will stay that way until I force reboot it. One time the little spinning wheel appeared during a freeze and it spinned for a second before disappearing. So it’s not stuck in a “lag” per say.

Usually there is no blue screen of death but it happened once, the error message that appeared:

stop code: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
what failed: rspndr.sys

I googled the error which led me to think something was wrong with the hard drive and/or windows. I bought a completely new SSD and clean installed Windows on it. Still it freezes. I bought a new cooler for my CPU and switched places for the RAM. It still freezes.

This is driving me crazy since nothing seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas or should I just return the cpu, mobo and RAM and simply buy new stuff?

Very thankful for any help!
Hello, May I Suggest You to Test Your Ram using Memtest86(This Is available for free as A bootable),If no errors found, then try removing all of your ram and boot it using 1 ram simultaneously and check if problem persist.If it did not, One Or Some Of your Ram are Defective..

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
Hello, May I Suggest You to Test Your Ram using Memtest86(This Is available for free as A bootable),If no errors found, then try removing all of your ram and boot it using 1 ram simultaneously and check if problem persist.If it did not, One Or Some Of your Ram are Defective..

Thanks for the tip! I ran the diagnostics test and it showed no errors. Switched out one RAM but after a few hours it froze again. Now using the other stick and it has not frozen yet. I'll let you know how things goes.

Jan 5, 2021
I await your reply...Keep Me Updated :)
Glad to help.

So now it happened again just a few minutes ago. PC froze and then got a BSOD with the errors:

Stopcode: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
What failed: dxgkrnl.sys

Quite frustrating that the freeze doesn't happen until several hours, really gets your hopes up :(.

Another strange things is that I’m not able to boot into the memtest because I HAVE to enable “CSM Support” in BIOS or it will just loop back into BIOS every time I start. I can’t get into windows after disabling it either. I don’t think you can boot into the memtest USB stick with this setting on.

Is there anything else I could do to troubleshoot?

Last edited:
Another strange things is that I’m not able to boot into the memtest because I HAVE to enable “CSM Support” in BIOS or it will just loop back into BIOS every time I start. I can’t get into windows after disabling it either. I don’t think you can boot into the memtest USB stick with this setting on.

Try Remaking your bootable using Rufus,But this time,Select GPT as the "Partition Scheme",the "File System" as Fat32,UEFI(Non CSM) as the "Target System" then Disable CSM Support..
(UEFI does not Support Booting in NTFS)
Then try booting again to your bootable stick.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
Hello Fieldx.

Hopefully you have enjoyed your stay here at Toms Hardware thus far. You stated earlier that you experienced blue screens. Could you please provide any generated crash dumps to help provide insight into the issue? If you do not have a go-to file upload service, use Dropbox or Mediafire to upload the crash dumps.

Reactions: Fieldx
So now it happened again just a few minutes ago. PC froze and then got a BSOD with the errors:

Quite frustrating that the freeze doesn't happen until several hours, really gets your hopes up :(

May I suggest you to Remove your New ram modules and then plugin the old ones and see how it Works...
If problem persist...Ram is not the Culprit
CPU being the problem is unlikely
And Your SSD being the Culprit Is Possible But also Unlikely as it's New...

Let Us Know and Keep us Updated :)
Peace

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021

Quite frustrating that the freeze doesn't happen until several hours, really gets your hopes up :(.

Since the DirectX Kernel is what brought down the system, it could be GPU drivers. If there are missing updates, install them accordingly. If you are using the latest drivers, you can try older versions of that driver. As I have asked earlier, though, please provide crash dumps.

Jan 5, 2021
Try Remaking your bootable using Rufus,But this time,Select GPT as the "Partition Scheme",the "File System" as Fat32,UEFI(Non CSM) as the "Target System" then Disable CSM Support..
(UEFI does not Support Booting in NTFS)
Then try booting again to your bootable stick.

Thanks for the help. I managed to start memtest this time around! I ran it and got no errors: View: https://imgur.com/a/w5xTPoQ

Unfortunately I am not able to put my old RAM back since it was DDR3 and the new ones are DDR4 :/

Thanks for the help. I managed to start memtest this time around! I ran it and got no errors: View: https://imgur.com/a/w5xTPoQ

Unfortunately I am not able to put my old RAM back since it was DDR3 and the new ones are DDR4 :/
Oh,I see...Can you try booting into Safe mode with Netwroking And Run SFC /Scannow,
Also Download Windows Updates (Both Important And Optional)
DirectX Updates and
Update Your Gpu (Credit to Uncodable for this Idea)
Also Check Your MoBo for BIOS Updates,If there is one,Update Your Bios(Be careful on this step,Make sure the Bios update you will download is for your Model)

See if the Bsod appears again
Keep Us Updated
:)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
Hello Fieldx.

Hopefully you have enjoyed your stay here at Toms Hardware thus far. You stated earlier that you experienced blue screens. Could you please provide any generated crash dumps to help provide insight into the issue? If you do not have a go-to file upload service, use Dropbox or Mediafire to upload the crash dumps.

I have tried now several times to generate these crash files but for some reason they are nowhere to be found. When I get the BSOD error it is stuck at 0% and never progresses so I’m forced to turn the system off eventually. Maybe that’s why it’s not getting saved?

I have gotten two more BSOD with these errors:

1st freeze:

Stop code: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

2nd freeze:

Stop code: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
What went wrong: BTHUSB.sys

I’ve switched GPU’s with my friend and I am still seeing the freezes, so that rules the GPU out thankfully. Unfortunately I am not able to test anything else since we don’t have the same sockets.

I have also reattached the CPU with new cooling paste and everything. Checked for bent pins as well but it looks fine I think? View: https://imgur.com/a/iept6Gg

it still froze after this and it feels like I am now getting microstutters as well, like it’s getting worse.

I have tried now several times to generate these crash files but for some reason they are nowhere to be found. When I get the BSOD error it is stuck at 0% and never progresses so I’m forced to turn the system off eventually. Maybe that’s why it’s not getting saved?
Before You do all this:
1.Boot into Safe Mode
2.Goto msconfig
3.Goto the Boot Tab
4.Click on Safe Boot
5.Click on the Circle Where the"Minimal" is in
6.Click on Apply > Ok
7.(Optional) Reboot

As for Your Problem of not Generating Minidumps,I Suggest You to do these Steps:
1.Boot into Safe Mode
2.Open CMD With Admin Rights
3.Type wmic RECOVEROS set DebugInfoType = 3
4.Reboot Your PC
5.See if Windows will now Generate Minidump on BSOD

If it did not,Try This:
1.Boot into Safe Mode
2.Press Windows+R
3.Type SystemPropertiesAdvanced
4.Click on Settings on the "Startup and Recovery Section"
5.Find And Click on Write Debugging Information
6.Change to Small Memory Dump (256KB)
7.Click Ok > Apply
8.Reboot Your Computer

You should be able to generate Minidumps Now

Keep us Updated
:)

Source:https://www.top-password.com/blog/configure-windows-to-create-crash-dumps-on-bsod/

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
Pitching in here to say that I will be returning the motherboard, CPU and RAM to the vendor. Today is the last day I have this option before the return "allowance" runs out, so I figured that will be the easiest solution. I think I'll buy a proper ATX mobo instead of an mATX and a different brand RAM. Hoping I wont have any issues next time around.

Thanks for all the helpful comments I've received here though!

Jan 9, 2021
Pitching in here to say that I will be returning the motherboard, CPU and RAM to the vendor. Today is the last day I have this option before the return "allowance" runs out, so I figured that will be the easiest solution. I think I'll buy a proper ATX mobo instead of an mATX and a different brand RAM. Hoping I wont have any issues next time around.

Thanks for all the helpful comments I've received here though!

Good luck!