Question PC freezing randomly

bm23

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
This started last year but the problem was intermittent. It started when I was still using Windows 7. The machine would either enter a boot loop or just freeze at the login screen. So I did a reformat and installed windows 10. The same thing happened but then it just mysteriously went away for a few months. The current problem is as such:
  1. The PC would freeze at random times without any apparent pattern (i.e. it could be during the use of any software or even at the windows log in menu)
  2. Whenever it freezes, the screen would freeze but whatever that was going on in the background would continue for about a minute. During this time, the HDD light would be flashing as if data is being read. After this, everything would freeze completely. I have tried leaving the PC as is for several hours to see if it would come back but it didn't
  3. Not sure if this is related but one of my HDD used for storage would go straight to 100% usage anytime I do anything, even just accessing a simple folder. It would lag windows explorer
  4. I have updated all drivers, and even did windows restore
  5. I have bought a new set of RAM
My specs are as follow:

Intel Core i7 5960x
Asus X99-A
2 x Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Corsair RM850

Any help on how to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated!

It could be BIOS version, maybe look at what BIOS version you are on and any revisions since.
Could be HDD failure. Run ChystalDiskInfo to look for stoarage health %

Please run UserBanchMark so we can see your kit and post a link to the results.

Could be PSU failure as that can throw up many different issues but very difficult to trace and confirm without a replacement handy.
Could be thermals, run some heat numbers using HWInfo64

bm23

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
It could be BIOS version, maybe look at what BIOS version you are on and any revisions since.
Could be HDD failure. Run ChystalDiskInfo to look for stoarage health %

Please run UserBanchMark so we can see your kit and post a link to the results.

Could be PSU failure as that can throw up many different issues but very difficult to trace and confirm without a replacement handy.
Could be thermals, run some heat numbers using HWInfo64

Thanks for the response.
I have run CrystalDiskInfo and it shows that the HDD that was giving me problem has a "Caution" warning health status. This is an older HDD that I have, meant to store unimportant data. I'll grab a new HDD this weekend.

As for the PSU, it is a new one that I bought recently so it is less likely to be the culprit. I'll do a thermal stress test and post the result here. I did run Heaven Benchmark on my PC for several hours and the GPU was sitting below 70 at max.

Below is my UserBenchmark score:
UserBenchmarks: Game 91%, Desk 85%, Work 88%
CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X - 82.4%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 107.9%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 92.8%
HDD: Toshiba P300 3TB - 78.5%
HDD: WD Green 3TB (2011) - 25.8%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB - 62.6%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB - 88%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 C18 2x16GB - 82.7%
MBD: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1

bm23

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2015
I have gotten around to replacing the faulty HDD but the freezing is still happening.
So far, these are what I have eliminated
  1. Faulty HDD (but I have yet to test the others)
  2. PSU, because I replaced it recently
  3. RAM
  4. OS, because these issues were happening in both Windows 7 and 10, and multiple reinstallations
So that leaves the following that I'm not yet sure on how to test:
  1. CPU
  2. MB
  3. GPU
  4. Or any other random possibility