[SOLVED] PC freezing then not booting

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
so i have posted about this problem before ,but now that i have more details to share ,i decided to make a new thread ...
the problem i have at hand now started around 3 years ago (at first it happened once every 6 months or so ,then once every two months ,and lately its happening like once every month or even less) ,so the problem is that sometimes my pc freezes mid use then once i reboot it ,it refuses to boot and i either get a flashing RAM and CPU LEDs on the motherboard with no display output ,or the pc tries to boot and fails again and again (i noticed this from the fans starting to spin ,then stoping ,continuosly) (i also wanna add that sometimes this problem happens even when im not using the PC ,so the pc is off then when i try to boot it i get this) ,i tried many solutions at first (reinstalling windows ,the drivers) ,replacing my cmos battery ,cpu thermal paste ,blowing the dust off ,reattaching the cables etc ...but again and again i found that the thing that made my pc boot was most of the time just taking the rams out and changing their slots ,well you'd tell me that now its obvious that the RAMs are at fault (since im getting freezes ,and reinserting the ram makes the pc boot normally and all (although sometimes i have to try that again and again) ,but what boggles my mind is that aside from this my system works perfectly ,i even tried to test the RAM using the built in windows utility or Memtest64 and got no errors ,so maybe i'm thinking its the motherboard ? or maybe its neither of these ?
i just wanna be sure of which component may be failing ,since i dont have enough money to buy both and test them

my specs are as follows :MSI 150M mortar arctic ,Intel i5-6400 ;Radeon Rx580 Saphire Nitro+ ;Avexir Budget series RAM 2X 4Gb ;Thermaltake PSU (non certified)

Solution
Afterall this time ,out of the blue my pc just refused to boot , it's totally dead ,so i think it was the motherboard slowly starting to die (or that it had some kind of issue , which this time made it stop working)
this issue is called cold boot ram issue...which means your ram is not stable when not heated up
try increase a bit dram boot voltage if your mainboard bios allows that
what can also help are VCCSA and VCCIO voltages, set them both 1,2v, if stable, u can go as low as stability allows

Last edited:

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
this issue is called cold boot ram issue...which means your ram is not stable when not heated up
try increase a bit dram boot voltage if your mainboard bios allows that
what can also help are VCCSA and VCCIO voltages, set them both 1,2v, if stable, u can go as low as stability allows
i havent heard of this issue before tbh ,so i'm taking your word for it ,i never tried tinkering with the voltage before ,i'll look-up online how to do it and see ,but can you please tell me if you tried doing this before (in case you had this problem) ,still a noob here sorry ,so asking some questions

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Afterall this time ,out of the blue my pc just refused to boot , it's totally dead ,so i think it was the motherboard slowly starting to die (or that it had some kind of issue , which this time made it stop working)

Solution