PC Freezing + whea_uncorrectable_error

Casey130x

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
**Click here for specs

Recently my PC has been freezing quite often. It will completely freeze up, I can't alt+esc, use task manager, or do anything but turn off the PC by holding the power button. I have also recently got an error stating "stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR."

The crashes will usually happen when I'm idling a game and almost always indie games that aren't taxing on my system at all. I haven't experienced any crashes with more demanding games, such as Fallout 4 for example.

I've been monitoring my CPU temperature with MSI Afterburner a little bit and haven't noticed anything high. The highest I've seen is 71C but usually not this high.

I've reset my BIOS settings to default and I still get the errors. My BIOS has been up to date for a long time now.

I've recently reinstalled Windows 10, wiping everything. I still get freezes.

PC Part Picker has noted one compatibility issue for my PC:
"The Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Ivy Bridge CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."
I'm not sure if this could be at fault.

Edit: I have nothing overclocked. All my drivers and Windows update are up to date.

The error, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, related to the hardware problem.
1) Should reset the cpu to base frequency, if you oc the cpu.
2) Run the MemTest86 for the RAM, you just run it only few passes. http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
3) Use the software like Kingston® SSD Manager, or "HD tune" to check the SSD S.M.A.R.T. to see the SSD has problem or not. For the HDD if the SSD Manager can't check you may use the HD tune.
4) When you test those, you should unplug all unnecessary hardware.
5) One more: update all the drivers or the window updates. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/530a7ad8-86ca-a4d8-d846-56c845cfc1d6/how-to-fix-whea-uncorrectable-error

Casey130x

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017

1) I have nothing overclocked.
2) I ran memtest86 for 1 pass and it found no errors.
3) I installed Kingston SSD Manager and it said no errors.
4) I didn't unplug anything though.
5) All my drivers and Windows updates are already fully up to date.

Edit: also installed HD Tune and checked my HDD for errors and it found none.

TRENDING THREADS