Question PC Freezing When Gaming

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
Hello!

This is a problem I've been having for quite some time actually. Since my computer boots up fairly quickly, I typically hold the power button to reset the computer whenever it freezes. However, it has gotten apparent to me that I would much rather play games without these inconvenient freezes. These freezes typically occur randomly whenever I am playing games meaning some days while playing for hours I'll have no freezes whatsoever whereas other times I can have up to three or four a day. Needless to say, it's pretty annoying.

Using Speccy as a quick way to provide system parts:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel Crucial Ballistix Sport LT @ 1205MHz (16-16-16-39)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VIII HERO (LGA1151)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (MSI)
CORSAIR CX Series 750 Watt 80+ Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply

Also, using Speccy I have looked at temperatures while gaming and saw temps of:

Idle (if it matters):
CPU: 32°C
GPU: 35°C

Max:
CPU: 55°C
GPU: 79°C

Things I have tried so far and their order:
  1. sfc/scannow resulted in multiple corrupt files, HOWEVER,
  2. performing an in-place windows 10 repair fixed these said corrupt files
  3. flashing motherboard to latest BIOS
  4. using DDU, uninstalled graphics drivers and installed the latest ones
  5. memtest86 left overnight, finished with 0 total errors

I've been looking around the internet and trying things to no avail. I would greatly appreciate anyone who would take the time out of their day to help me.
Thanks in advance!

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
Windows up to date?
Drivers up to date?
BIOS/UEFI up to date?
Name of the game?
Tried another game? Same issue with all the games?

Thanks for the reply.

I have the latest version of Windows. There are no further updates in 'Update Windows' if that's what you're asking. Currently on Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build 18363.720

When you ask if drivers are up to date, could you specify what drivers you're talking about? Using DDU (since I previously had a 970) I've installed the latest GPU drivers which is 442.74 as of today.

BIOS is currently updated to the latest version for my Maximus Hero VIII which is version 3802.

The freezing frequently happens on Monster Hunter World, Overwatch, Escape from Tarkov, Call Of Duty Warzone, and Path of Exile. Granted, those are the only games I play, so as an overall answer: I believe it freezes on all games I play.

ithatsings

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2016
Bump,

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or ideas. I ended up updating some of my Motherboard's drivers such as Chipset and SATA and I have noticed that the freezing frequency has gone down quite a bit or it is all just a big coincidence. Just really hoping to solve this pesky problem!

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

I have the latest version of Windows. There are no further updates in 'Update Windows' if that's what you're asking. Currently on Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build 18363.720

When you ask if drivers are up to date, could you specify what drivers you're talking about? Using DDU (since I previously had a 970) I've installed the latest GPU drivers which is 442.74 as of today.

BIOS is currently updated to the latest version for my Maximus Hero VIII which is version 3802.

The freezing frequently happens on Monster Hunter World, Overwatch, Escape from Tarkov, Call Of Duty Warzone, and Path of Exile. Granted, those are the only games I play, so as an overall answer: I believe it freezes on all games I play.
All the drivers in your motherboard page.
ASUS.