Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so please don't be too harsh on me :D
Let's start with the specs so we get that out of the way:
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F ATX AM4 Socket
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12x 3.80 Ghz AM4 Socket
Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB
2x Corsair Vengeance DIMM 32GB DDR4-3200
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W

Moving now to the problem: 3 months ago I buyed a new gaming PC. For the first 2 Months there were no problems what so ever, no hickups, nothing. After that it started with all sorts of Bluescreens (I do have the feeling that I had a good 80% of the Microsoft Bluescreen Database). I went to the store and discovered that the PCI Drivers were not installed (in fact they've been missing at all). Other than that the guy at the store took my PC in for a couple of days to scan all the peripherals and look for any sort of "damage" be it physical or other. Other than the missing PCI drivers he found absolutly nothing wrong mit the components. The problems with bluescreens and freezing up continued for the next 3 weeks or so. I unpluged everything from my PC to take a look inside if there is perhaps a loose cable or something when I discovered that my power supply hat 2 switches instead of just the normal 1. It was something called "Smart Fan". For those of you who don't know it means that if it's ON than the power supply only delivers as much electricity as needed and when it's OFF the power supply is at the normal stable rate of 100% power output (I hope I understood it correctly). So I switched it to OFF and did a clean install of Windows 10 (which I've done more times in the past weeks that I care to admit) and behold: everything was working just fine! No freezes, no bluescreens, absolutly nothing. Alas I was too happy too soon because just yesterday the problems with the freezing up while gaming started anew. There were absolutly no bluescreens tho, just the freezing up part.

Observations: when the bluescreens and freezes started I noticed something. It's not that my PC was overheating (GPU temp. was at 80 degrees give or take 2 degrees) but I had this strange feeling that my PC wasn't blasting as much heat out as it uses under normal circumstances. After the above mentioned reinstall and switching the Smart Fan to OFF, it blasted warm air as it used to when it was working. Putting it simple: It feels as tho my PC wants to but it can't (I know, it sounds strange but that is the best description I can think of). Other than that I also noticed that after every freeze (and after shutting the PC down and booting it back up) my bluetooth just disappears. In the settings the option in which to turn bluetooth on and off is gone and also in the device manager it's listed as invisible. Further more I also noticed that always after I install a specific game (Gothic 2 with the Returning mod) those problems start.

I admit I wrote this thread here because I have no other ideas on what to do and any help or advice would be more than helpfull.

Here is also a small list of actions that I took:
  • every driver is up to date (checked it multiple times even with software designed to check if everithing is up to date)
  • there is absolutly no overclocking involved what so ever, everything is in it's most basic settings
  • I tried "everything" that google has thrown out while searching for a solution (setting Max Performance etc.)
  • did 3 or 4 memory tests and no errors found
  • check disk (chdsk or something like that) with also absolutly no errors

I mentioned above Gothic 2 with the mod. I know it's an old game and requiers the good old DirectX 9.0c to run etc. but I just can't imagine that this one game can make every other game unplayable. Oh and before someone asks: I did uninstall the game so (I hope) it wasn't it.

Allright, enough nagging. If someone has an idea on what I can do than please do help me :(

Hi Feranor. Welcome to the forum! :)

Let's start with that switch on the PSU. The Smart fan switch is only for the fan. It means that if it's ON the fan will only start spinning when the PSU is over a certain load. If it's OFF the fan always spin.

I think you should just reinstall Windows again following the guide below to just remove any possibilities that it's software related.

What is your CPU cooler? CPU temperature?

What BIOS version do you have?

By PCI drivers do you mean the chipset drivers for the motherboard? You don't have to install any specific PCI drivers. Just the Chipset drivers from AMD website.

Here is what I recommend you do.

• Take a USB key with at least 8GB on it. Download Windows Media Creation Tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 "Download Tool Now button".
  • Run the Windows Media Creation Tool and follow it's instruction to create a new install of the latest Windows 10 on the USB key.
  • Backup files you don't wanna lose.
  • Plug the USB key with the latest Windows 10 install and go to your BIOS and force boot to the USB key launching the WIndows 10 install.
  • After Windows 10 install download and install in this order. Windows Updates if there are any -> Chipset drivers from AMD (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550), GPU drivers, audio/LAN with a reboot between each one.
After that test the system and do not install full programs that you don't need. If it doesn't crash/freeze/BSOD on you the issue was software. If it keeps doing it it's hardware.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020
Hello Nemesia,

many thanks for the swift response :) now to your questions:
  • the PCI drivers: yes I did mean the normal motherboard ones. Also as you suggested I did dowload and installed it from the AMD website and did a reboot after every single one of them (even the not PCI drivers)
  • CPU: ah yes, forgot to mention, I have a AMD Wraith Prism Cooler. Regarding the CPU temp. it's at a steady 45 to 50 degrees (set to a max of 95, but like I mentioned, these are the standard settings)
  • BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1004, 13.08.2020, BIOS Version 3.2 UEFI (I hope that answers your question :) I just copied everything from the msinfo32)
  • Windows: I also tried your method with a clean install. To be specific I do have a Windows 10 DVD with a key in the box. The method with the USB as the booting device, well I tried it to but I do have a concern: I can reinstall Windows again but I have concerns that when these problem do come back, do I need to reinstall the whole system every time? Because I thinks it's not the point :D

Still regarding crashing/freezing/BSOD it NEVER happend while I installed the system or any drivers so I think/hope we can rule out the hardware part. Also: why removing the 1 RAM stick? I know 64 GB is a lot even for a gaming PC but what would that do?

Hello Nemesia,

many thanks for the swift response :) now to your questions:
  • the PCI drivers: yes I did mean the normal motherboard ones. Also as you suggested I did dowload and installed it from the AMD website and did a reboot after every single one of them (even the not PCI drivers)
  • CPU: ah yes, forgot to mention, I have a AMD Wraith Prism Cooler. Regarding the CPU temp. it's at a steady 45 to 50 degrees (set to a max of 95, but like I mentioned, these are the standard settings)
  • BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1004, 13.08.2020, BIOS Version 3.2 UEFI (I hope that answers your question :) I just copied everything from the msinfo32)
  • Windows: I also tried your method with a clean install. To be specific I do have a Windows 10 DVD with a key in the box. The method with the USB as the booting device, well I tried it to but I do have a concern: I can reinstall Windows again but I have concerns that when these problem do come back, do I need to reinstall the whole system every time? Because I thinks it's not the point :D
Still regarding crashing/freezing/BSOD it NEVER happend while I installed the system or any drivers so I think/hope we can rule out the hardware part. Also: why removing the 1 RAM stick? I know 64 GB is a lot even for a gaming PC but what would that do?

Normally this is hardware related. Especially after that many Windows reinstall. How old is that DVD Windows 10? What version is it installing first before you do the Windows 10 Updates?

You have the latest BIOS. That's ok.

I wanted you to remove 1 stick of RAM and turn off the XMP profile in the BIOS to see if your issues was from RAM instability or a faulty stick / RAM Slot.

When exactly is your system crashing freezing ? Is it when you're at idle? In games? While you're browsing?

Oct 29, 2020
The Windows DVD has the 1809 Version so I think it's not that old.
Now about the crashing/freezing I have 4 testing dummies:
  • Gothic 2 with the mod - runs fine the whole time UNLESS I pause the game for too long, then (for whatever reason) the PC starts blasting warm air as if I was running Assassins Creed Odyssey on ultra setting and shortly after I "unpause" the game it crashes/freezes
  • Spellforce 3 - usually 30 to 60 minutes, after that it crashes/freezes
  • Assassins Creed Odyssey/Titanfall 2 - max 10 to 15 minutes untill it crashes/freezes
Other then that it runs fine without any hickups. No matter if I'm browsing, watching movies etc.

You mentioned that it could be hardware but which part? The experiment with the RAM stick I do understand but what could it else be?
Besides if it were hardware wouldn't this issue happen all the time? Because as I mentiones before, after the last clean reinstall and using your suggestion with the installation order (and I also didn't use this time any software to help me with drivers, all of them I downloaded and installed manually).

EDIT: Checked in BIOS, I don't have any XMP Profile even enabled to I think that we can rule this one out. Regarding your question about Windows, after I complete the installation, he downloads the 1909 Build ad several other things he needs which I think is also normal.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020
BUMP
Actually managed to get a BSOD, perhaps it can tell someone what it means https://files.catbox.moe/niyliq.dmp

And here es a Text Message:
==================================================
Dump File : 102920-10718-01.dmp
Crash Time : 29.10.2020 14:15:43
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000139
Parameter 1 : 0000000000000003 Parameter 2 : fffff606b05943f0
Parameter 3 : fffff606b0594348 Parameter 4 : 0000000000000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f45a0
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f45a0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\102920-10718-01.dmp
Processors Count : 24
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 19041
Dump File Size : 4 735 996
Dump File Time : 29.10.2020 14:16:38
==================================================

EDIT: I don't know how I did it but after another crash my PC was even able to freeze while beeing in BIOS (didn't even know something like that is possible)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020
BUMP
Hello everyone, it's been some time since my last post here that's why I wanted to refresh my post. After months of fighting the problem still persists. Belive it or not it is also my 3rd gaming PC and still exactly the same problem persists: no matter what game I start it takes 1.5 hours tops to either throw out a BSOD or the whole PC freezes (while a strange sound comes from my speakers) and makes a restart on its own.

My current specs:
CPU :Intel Core i9-10900K 10x 3.7GHz
Cooling: NZXT Kraken Z73
Graphics: GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X
RAM: 4x 16GB DDR4 3733MHz Kingston HyperX Fury
Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E
1x SSD M.2 PCIe 2280 Corsair MP600 NVME 2000GB
2x SPM SSD SATA 2000GB Samsung 860 Pro
Power adapter: NT ATX 1000W Straight Power 11 be quiet
Mouse: LG G600
Keyboard: LG G910
Speakers: also LG but the model I can't remember
Monitor: LG 34GL750
Comment: this is (as I wrote above) my 3rd gaming PC and it is 1 week old. It has almost nothing on it except te basic software, all updates and a couple of games.

The problem: As written above, no matter what game I try (WoW Classic and Cyberpunk are my test dummies but I also tried other games), it takes sometimes a couple of minutes before my PC freezes and makes a restart on it's own OR throws out a BSOD
Before the questions start:
  • every single update that could be done, is done ... everything has the newest updates (BIOS, graphics etc.)
  • this one I did not reinstall because as I mentioned it's brand new but the other 2 PCs I did a clean reinstall more times that I care to count ... still the same problem remains
  • I know that posting dumps would be the way you guys could help BUT it's useless ... why? ... because every freaking BSOD has a different description (I swear I sometimes have the feeling that I already had the whole Microsoft Database of bluesceens) and here's the fun part: I also have BSODs without any description ... no code, no message NOTHING
  • I already scanned with memory tests and other software every single part of this an the other PCs ... NOTHING WRONG WAS DETECTED
  • I started replacing parts (not with the new one but with the other 2 PCs) and nothing helped, exactly the same problem remained
  • the other 2 PCs had by 2 different companies ALL PARTS REPLACED ... still the same problem remains
  • absolutely nothing is overclocked, everything is in it's most basic settings
  • from all these PCs I didn't replace the following: internet provider, electricity, mouse, speakers, keyboard, monitor ... but I doubt they would cause such problems ... or could they?

Anyway, I'm at a loss :( I used all ideas I had and I'm very sad because I just wanted to fullfil a childhood dream with a gaming PC and for litteral months exactly the same problem persists :( I know that the chance is not 0 but 3 different PCs from 3 different companies have exactly the same stuff hapening is just impossible

I apologize for my rant and my english ... I just hope someone could help me :(

TRENDING THREADS