Question PC Froze and when restarted got "Updating your system" prompt from Windows

Apr 18, 2020
So a few minutes ago, I was using my computer as normal and I was doing work that I needed to do. Randomly, my monitor, keyboard, microphone, and mouse turned off and my computer fans started running fast as if it was under load. Since my reset button and power button were not replying to me, I had to turn off my power supply in order to cut off power going into the motherboard. When I turned on my computer, my computer booted as normal and noticed that instead of taking me into the log in screen, I was prompted "Updating your system" and i had to wait for the process to finish.

I've gotten this issue a few times in the past (the first time being a memory overload issue thanks to the led on my motherboard, the other was that my pc was freezing due to the hibernate feature that windows had turned on, to which i had to turn off).

Does anyone have an idea to why my computer randomly froze and why my cpu fan start running insanely fast as if I'm putting it under load?

These are the specs of my pc:
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B450 f-gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3200 mHz
Storage: Samsung 860 evo 250gb
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1660 Super
PSU: EVGA BQ 500w 80+ Bronze

Apr 18, 2020
maybe check in windows update and see if you got an update today as maybe it was the update process you were watching.

I know there is one around this week.

There is an update that I have to do in which its referring to Windows 10 version 20H2. Could that be the factor to why my pc randomly froze to the point i had to turn off my power supply?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i haven't seen windows do that before. I wouldn't think it could. Those buttons are controlled by motherboard, not windows.

Perhaps update was just a coincidence or a error.

have you got the latest bios for motherbaord?

Apr 18, 2020
i haven't seen windows do that before. I wouldn't think it could. Those buttons are controlled by motherboard, not windows.

Perhaps update was just a coincidence or a error.

have you got the latest bios for motherbaord?
I'm looking at the website right now and there is currently 2 beta versions of the bios they have put out. The last time i updated my bios was in novemeber when the issue with my pc hibernating and crashing upon waking up

Colif

Win 11 Master
4007 was released in December, do you have it?

The 2 beta are for support of the new CPU. At least Asus doesn't remove support for old CPU when they add new ones, some motherboard makers do which makes it tricky updating older CPU. its not an old board so chances are the beta will stop being beta eventually.

(the first time being a memory overload issue thanks to the led on my motherboard, the other was that my pc was freezing due to the hibernate feature that windows had turned on, to which i had to turn off)
memory overload caused by led? how does that work?

possible hibernate thing could have been drivers

Apr 18, 2020
4007 was released in December, do you have it?

The 2 beta are for support of the new CPU. At least Asus doesn't remove support for old CPU when they add new ones, some motherboard makers do which makes it tricky updating older CPU. its not an old board so chances are the beta will stop being beta eventually.

memory overload caused by led? how does that work?

possible hibernate thing could have been drivers
Oh, the led on my motherboard told me there was a memory overload on my system. the hibernate mode has been turned off when it happened in november and ever since then i had no issue until right now

and i dont have 4007 currently. I’m going to update my bios tomorrow actually since i updated my gpu drivers today

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
what did you do to fix the memory thing?

let me know if bios update helps.
what i did for the memory issue was simply to hard boot my computer and ever since then i haven't run into that issue ever again.

I also just installed the 4007 version of the bios right now and i installed the pending windows update. The only other thing that comes to mind is my power supply that is causing the issue because the freezes aren't consistent since it happens randomly.

Edit:
I also ran a full system scan in command prompt to see if there was any corrupted files on my computer and it returned that there was no corrupted files which makes me believe its a hard ware issue that is causing it. Could it be that its because I'm using the AMD Ryzen Balance power plan? Should I change that to high performance?