[SOLVED] PC froze, buzzing sound came from headphones, and system rebooted itself

forkness

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
I was playing a game of Hearthstone, when suddenly my entire PC froze, a buzzing sound came from my headphones, and the system rebooted itself about 5 seconds later.

At first I thought it was a GPU issue, which would be a shame since I just bought it. But I have been running FurMark for over 10 minutes now and everything seems normal.

I've been running the system with the same configuration for about 2 weeks and never saw any issues, but this crash scared me. I don't know if its an issue with RAM, GPU, CPU, motherboard, storage, etc. I'm concerned because this is a recent build, everything was purchased new within the last month (minus the case).

For reference, here are my components:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DkxMQZ

Anyone ever experience anything like this? I'm very worried it will happen again, or one of my parts will fail and I'll have to RMA. I just don't know where to begin troubleshooting. Thanks in advance.

Solution
The first thing would be to see if the problem occurs again - it is very difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot a problem if it cannot be reproduced so actual troubleshooting can be done about it.

My PC crashed once every few months until about a year ago. Those crashes always occurred within a week from hot-updating (updating without rebooting) GPU drivers for my GTX1050. The fix in my case was simple: reboot my PC after updating drivers. About a year ago though, Nvidia fixed whatever driver bug was causing the hot-update crash and I don't need to reboot my PC for GPU driver updates anymore.

InvalidError

Titan
The first thing would be to see if the problem occurs again - it is very difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot a problem if it cannot be reproduced so actual troubleshooting can be done about it.

My PC crashed once every few months until about a year ago. Those crashes always occurred within a week from hot-updating (updating without rebooting) GPU drivers for my GTX1050. The fix in my case was simple: reboot my PC after updating drivers. About a year ago though, Nvidia fixed whatever driver bug was causing the hot-update crash and I don't need to reboot my PC for GPU driver updates anymore.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS