PC Froze, now won't boot into windows past automatic repair. Cannot access SSD filesystem through Ubuntu on second HDD.

spurch

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I was browsing reddit two days ago, got up for something, and then came back to a frozen machine. Could not access task manager, so I turned off the computer using the power button. When I turned it back on, I was prompted by the Windows 10 automatic repair screen and white spinning circle. This seems to be a loop, as I cannot get past this screen no matter how long I wait.
This particular machine has Windows 10 on a Patriot Blast 120GB SSD and the latest version of Ubuntu on a mass storage drive. When I turn the computer on, I am prompted by GRUB to boot into Windows 10 or Ubuntu - when I choose Windows 10, I am met with the same automatic repair loop. When I boot into Ubuntu, I can do everything with my HDD, but when I try to mount the SSD, even though it shows up in file explorer, it will not mount. It does not pull an error, it will just not mount no longer how long I wait. When I click on it again to mount, it pulls an error saying it is already trying to mount the drive. I cannot view files on the drive. The SSD still appears in BIOS on two different machines as Patriot Blast. I have tried recovering with a Windows USB drive, without any luck. When I plug in the recovery USB drive, I am unable to open it to access the repair screen while the SSD is plugged into the machine. I can access the repair screen fine when the SSD is not plugged in and it is just my mass storage drive.
The odd time I could access the advanced troubleshooting settings through USB recovery to use cmd prompt with the SSD plugged in, bootrec /scanos could not find a drive with windows. Have not been able to run chkdsk on SSD, only HDD without any errors.
I tried to use TestDisk software through ubuntu, but it just hangs on "Please Wait...".
I built this computer about a year ago; this is the only issue I've had thus far. Is it possible that my SSD is dead?
My setup: * Windows 10 on Patriot Blast 120GB SSD * Latest version of Ubuntu on 1TB Mass Storage Drive * i5-4590, no overclock * Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI motherboard
Thanks for your help, in advance. If you need additional information, just ask; I may have forgotten something.

Solution
ssd don't have sectors so that could be one reason it didn't find any to fix

How old is the drive? If its less than 3 years old you may need to arrange a RMA via the link at bottom of this page: https://patriotmemory.com/warranty/ - check with them before running dban as I suggest below.

Generally linux is best way to get data back but drive doesn't cooperate in linux, as you know.

See if dban can see drive, if it can wipe it and then see if it shows up with a win 10 usb on it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why can't you access USB if SSD is plugged in? what happens? are you setting UEFI USB to be top of boot order? might need to set full initialise on for USB as PC might just be looking at KB/Mouse at boot stage - this only applies if you have fast boot on. (its under BIOS features in your bios) (I should ask what revision of motherboard you have)

if you can get into CMD again, I would try the commands at step 4 here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

spurch

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

When the USB drive is plugged in, I enter setup and patriot blast SSD isn't even an option in boot order. When I boot from USB, I cannot get past the windows white circle screen. I wait and wait, and after a period of time, I get a black screen after the windows screen. When the SSD is unplugged from system, the windows USB stick works as expected and brings up the windows install screen with option to repair system.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you make USB using Windows 10 media creation tool or rufus?

you could try making Hirens boot cd, this shows you whats available on it - Here. Curious if ssd shows up with it in, if it does you may want to run HDTune on it and see its stats. BTW, Hirens can be made into a USB, name is just old.

Depending on your desire to save contents, if you don't care, you could also run dban on it (Its on hirens) which will wipe entire SSD and maybe the Win 10 installer will finally see it.

might want to remove hdd while you test ssd, hate for accidents to happen

spurch

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

I had initially been using a rufus-built copy of windows usb, but after so many attempts to recover system, it locked me out of the USB stick with an error. I then used windows media creation to create a windows 10 usb stick.

I made Hiren's Boot CD into a usb stick w/ ISO and rufus.
I used PartedMagic and tried to open the SSD. It was showing me "Patriot Blast"; when I clicked on it, it tried to scan for more information without any luck.

Testdisk scans the drive, shows the name for the drive and the correct size, but when I try to list files, it outputs something along the lines of "Cannot list files. Filesystem seems damaged."

Drive stopped showing up in different windows. Turned machine off, unplugged sata power, then plugged back in and booted again. Checked SSD with HDAT2. Appeared with correct name and size, scanned in "Check and Repair bad sectors" option. No bad sectors showed up. Within HDAT2, I used scan mode under filesystem options. Pulled errors "Drive not ready (command failed or time out)." Stopped there and wrote this post.

If I could save my data, that would be awesome, but if losing my data means I don't need to purchase another SSD, I'll take it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ssd don't have sectors so that could be one reason it didn't find any to fix

How old is the drive? If its less than 3 years old you may need to arrange a RMA via the link at bottom of this page: https://patriotmemory.com/warranty/ - check with them before running dban as I suggest below.

Generally linux is best way to get data back but drive doesn't cooperate in linux, as you know.

See if dban can see drive, if it can wipe it and then see if it shows up with a win 10 usb on it.

Solution