[SOLVED] PC froze while gaming. Dead GPU?

geojo

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Hello everyone. This is my build:

-GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
-CPU: Intel i7 6700K
-MOBO: Asus Z170-A
-RAM: G.Skill F4-2400C15D-16GCR 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 2400MHZ
-PSU Corsair RM650i - 650W
-SSD Samsung Evo 850 for the OS

Everything was bought new summer 2016 and i am out of warranty time.

A few days ago i was in a three hour streak of Doom 2016 when suddenly the screen froze and i saw a few green pixels/dots appear here and there. Alt+F4 or Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing so i did a hard reset.

From then, my pc would not get any display from my GPU but it still gets signal (the monitor wakes but stays black).
In addition, it is actually booting on windows just fine, i can log in and use Alt+F4 + Enter blindly to shut it down again.

Integrated Graphics works fine, i can switch to have 1 monitor on Intergrated and 1 on the GPU and the one on Integrated will display ok and the other on the GPU nothing. Both monitors/cables work when they are both on Integrated.

On device manager, my GPU shows "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43".
The GPU gets power, lights up and fans spinning on boot but a few seconds later the fans stop.

Already tried:

-Check and refit all cables. Even tried different 6pin and 6+2pin from PSU to GPU.

-DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstall them fresh.

-Removed the battery from the motherboard for 30 minutes.

-Completly unscrew the GPU apart to check for visible damage but there was nothing i could see.

I can not try different PCI-E slot. The case is kinda small and other things are on the way that i cannot remove and i don't feel like removing the motherboard from the case unless it is my last hope.

Any ideas? Is it time for a new GPU?Thanks in advance.

P.S. I originaly bought 1 monitor at 1080p 60hz. and about a year ago i bought my second monitor, a 1440p 144hz. Could this last year on bigger demands beat my GPU? Everything worked flawlessly until now.

Solution
I think that from most everything you posted....it points to a bad GPU.
I've had the "green pixel....green screen" thing with a few bad GPUs.
I even had it with an RTX 2080 Ti.

Chris_2711

Commendable
Aug 18, 2019
I agree. If you have a spare gpu to be 110% sure, try it. If is displays, you it does mean that you will have to replace the gpu. I would also suggest maybe cleaning then reapplying thermal compound on your current gpu and trying again. If it still persists, you will need a new GPU :// You can try get a professional to repair it but you'd be better off getting a new GPU

geojo

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Damn.. If these new RTX cards start failing already.. And i was casualy flirting with the RTX 1070 but now you discourage me. :)
Which replacement would you suggest that at least matches my olds GTX 1070 performance?

geojo

Reputable
May 11, 2015
I agree. If you have a spare gpu to be 110% sure, try it. If is displays, you it does mean that you will have to replace the gpu. I would also suggest maybe cleaning then reapplying thermal compound on your current gpu and trying again. If it still persists, you will need a new GPU :// You can try get a professional to repair it but you'd be better off getting a new GPU
Yea i forgot to mention that i did replace the thermal paste when i did the unscrewing. Unfortunatly i don't have easy access to spare video cards or another machine to test the card there. I hoped that maybe there was a software related problem that causes this, but my hopes were slim.

Damn.. If these new RTX cards start failing already.. And i was casualy flirting with the RTX 1070 but now you discourage me. :)
Which replacement would you suggest that at least matches my olds GTX 1070 performance?
Here is the GPU heirarchy list.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
You're looking at a GTX 1660 Ti and up.

....and the RTX 2080 Ti failed the first week.
The replacement has been going over a year.

Reactions: Chris_2711