PC/game crashes after upgrading to 1060 6GB

adi9981

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Hello. I've just upgraded from GTX 750 to a GTX 1060 6GB and the problems have already started. After installing the GPU, I've reinstalled the GPU driver using a clean install and then I've ran some games. The first game was Monster Hunter World which ran just fine. Next one was Fortnite which also ran flawlessly. After that, I've tried to launch Modern Warfare Remastered. This one crashed multiple times on loading screen without an error. Then, I've tried Cities Skylines and it crashed with an error message. I've tried to lower the resolution and settings and the game launched without problems, but when I've tried to bump the settings up, my whole PC went black and I had to reset through PC case button. This is my setup :

R5 2600 at stock clock speeds
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
    Ripjaws V DDR4 8 GB @ 3200 MHz
    MSI B350 PC MATE /w latest BIOS
    500W PSU
    Crucial BX300 SSD
    Windows 10 Pro 1803

Here's my Cities Skylines error log : https://pastebin.com/raw/rC6vhS4e
I've noticed a very high HDD usage (around 110 MB/s) when the game is about to crash. Sometimes, the task manager will go blank and will refresh after the game crashes. I should also mention that I'm using molex to 6pin adapter, because my PSU only has 8pin connectors and the 1060 needs a 6pin.

EDIT - I've tried Grand Theft Auto V and it maxed out automatically and ran without problems. I really don't know the cause of this problem.

Ramlethal

Estimable
I would just DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to be extremly secured the driver uninstall its 100% clean. Then download the Geforce Experience center from the Official Website and let it auto-detect the most updated drivers and download them.
Once all this happend, reboot the PC and try again.

adi9981

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
As soon as I got home with my new GPU, I've booted my PC with the 750 in and used DDU to remove the drivers completely. Then I've swapped the GPUs and installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA site.

EDIT - I've used DDU again. The problem still persists. I've checked the Windows Event Viewer and I saw multiple system errors saying that there's no available virtual memory and Cities.exe uses the most of it.

adi9981

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
I've just played a game of Fortnite and the game just closed on me after a 25-min match. Then, I couldn't open the Task Manager, some of my apps were frozen and I had to reset my PC again.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
What PSU make and model do you have?

Dont use molex adapters, the pci-e cable included should be a 6+2, and you just dont use the +2 part - Make sure its one labeled PCI-E.

If your PSU doesnt have this, you need to ugprade to a better PSU.

adi9981

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

I've just realized that my PSU has those 6+2 pins that are detachable from each other

TRENDING THREADS