[SOLVED] PC game freeze fixed then becomes stutter

Mar 7, 2020
My computer started freezing five hours into playing Metro Exodus. Command prompt sfc /scannow fixed that but now games have serious stutter that makes game play impossible. Witcher 3 which I've got 500 hours into with no problem is now stuttering too so I don't think it's specs.

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 - 7700 HQ @ CPU 2.80GHZ
2.80ghz
16GB RAM
64bit
Windows 10 (completely updated)
Don't know PSU info as I'm not that techie

On the computer, I've tried;
Empty standby list
Nvidia settings to 'high performance'
Malware removal with Malwarebytes
Turn off Game bar/mode
Set all Windows privacy options to off
Updated drivers and then system restore to get rid of the updates
cleaned caches like temp etc.

In the game, I've;
Turned off Vsync
Changed to Directx 11
resolution lowered

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Incredibly frustrated

Last edited:
Solution
Updated in my question
Still being vague, as you make no mention of settings or res used. As well, now that we know this is a laptop, all the more important you mention temps, as laptops can overheat very easily, especially in demanding titles like Exodus.

The bit about the settings is very important. While a 1050 Ti and 7700HQ can run it on Ultra @ 1080p, the frames will dip well below 30 FPS, which can cause stutter. The below video showcases just that.

This is why a lot of gamers shoot for an average of at least 60 FPS when selecting graphics settings, because it usually assures smoother gameplay. With your spec you're probably going to have to go no higher than Low settings to have any hope of...
More info is needed. Besides system specs as rgd mentioned, which I feel anyone asking such questions should list in their sig, we need to know what settings and res you're playing at. Exodus minimum reqs state a 1050, and your 1050 Ti is barely above that. Many games start off at higher frame rate due to the introductory or "prologue" area of the game being less resource hungry, only to eventually bring you to areas much more demanding. So you need to pay attention to hardware reqs stated by devs as well as game content when choosing settings.

That said, the fact that this all started after doing an SFC repair does not sound good. It warrants doing a full malware check, Malwarebytes is good for that. Also, when you ran SFC, did you first restore the image file? That's the only way you can get SFC to work properly. Full instructions on how to do so here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020
More info is needed. Besides system specs as rgd mentioned, which I feel anyone asking such questions should list in their sig, we need to know what settings and res you're playing at. Exodus minimum reqs state a 1050, and your 1050 Ti is barely above that. Many games start off at higher frame rate due to the introductory or "prologue" area of the game being less resource hungry, only to eventually bring you to areas much more demanding. So you need to pay attention to hardware reqs stated by devs as well as game content when choosing settings.

That said, the fact that this all started after doing an SFC repair does not sound good. It warrants doing a full malware check, Malwarebytes is good for that. Also, when you ran SFC, did you first restore the image file? That's the only way you can get SFC to work properly. Full instructions on how to do so here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
full system spec? include make and model of thepsu
Updated in my question

Updated in my question
Still being vague, as you make no mention of settings or res used. As well, now that we know this is a laptop, all the more important you mention temps, as laptops can overheat very easily, especially in demanding titles like Exodus.

The bit about the settings is very important. While a 1050 Ti and 7700HQ can run it on Ultra @ 1080p, the frames will dip well below 30 FPS, which can cause stutter. The below video showcases just that.

This is why a lot of gamers shoot for an average of at least 60 FPS when selecting graphics settings, because it usually assures smoother gameplay. With your spec you're probably going to have to go no higher than Low settings to have any hope of consistently staying at 60 FPS average. Keep in mind a 1050 Ti laptop card is really more like a 1050 desktop card, because laptop cards are down clocked to avoid excessive heat. You're effectively at the bottom end of minimum hardware requirements GPU wise.

You should also monitor temps while playing in real time using MSI Afterburner with stats set to show onscreen .

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Mar 7, 2020

This is why a lot of gamers shoot for an average of at least 60 FPS when selecting graphics settings, because it usually assures smoother gameplay. With your spec you're probably going to have to go no higher than Low settings to have any hope of consistently staying at 60 FPS average. Keep in mind a 1050 Ti laptop card is really more like a 1050 desktop card, because laptop cards are down clocked to avoid excessive heat. You're effectively at the bottom end of minimum hardware requirements GPU wise.

You should also monitor temps while playing in real time using MSI Afterburner with stats set to show onscreen .
Thx for the help. I didn't know to look for temperatures as a fix. Temps were high so I undervolted my CPU and it seems okay now. Probably time to upgrade a few things.

Thx for the help. I didn't know to look for temperatures as a fix. Temps were high so I undervolted my CPU and it seems okay now. Probably time to upgrade a few things.
If you've been using that Laptop for a while, it may need some internal cleaning. Especially if the areas you use it in are prone to dust. Dust buildup can definitely affect how well their cooling system works. Another trick you can use is a laptop cooling pad, which range from about $20-$30.