PC game on TV set??

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Analog TV displays only 480 lines by 720 pixels.

But newer tvs using digital displays and digital flat panels go up to thousands of pixels

It doesn't really matter anyway because the tv is low technology compared to your monitor. A VCR only records 240 lines and the image quality isn't drastically affected. A TV only refreshes half the screen in each pass. The odd lines on the first pass and the even lines on the second. But the human eye is too slow to pick it up. A computer screen refreshes all lines every pass.

<font color=blue>Little Miss Muffet was arachnaphobic</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can emulate 800x600 on your TV, but you will actually see less. It is dependant on your TV. But you can get the best graphics your TV can support out of your computer. So you can get Playstation 2 quality graphics. YOu will notice on a TV that it is hard to read text from your computer-that is because TV's are low resolution.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
In the UK the TV resolution (PAL) is 768x576. This is ok for arcady consoly games. but for Quake 3(TA) or UT, I prefer sitting close to a High resolution (1024x768) screen, the distant objects are better visible. And newer apereture grille based monitors can match the vividity of TV screens while retaining the sharpness of the picture.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>