PC Gamer gives F.E.A.R a 92%

jlc

Just got the latest PC Gamer in the mail today and they have a huge review
of F.E.A.R in this months issue. The review is about the same size as they
gave HL2 for those that had a chance to read that one. I haven't had a
chance to read the whole thing yet, but from what I have read, it's sounding
like it could be the next "Big One" I enjoyed the demo, and can't wait for
this one to come out so we'll have something fun to talk about in this group
for change. JLC

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:02:26 -0700, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>Just got the latest PC Gamer in the mail today and they have a huge review
>of F.E.A.R in this months issue. The review is about the same size as they
>gave HL2 for those that had a chance to read that one. I haven't had a
>chance to read the whole thing yet, but from what I have read, it's sounding
>like it could be the next "Big One" I enjoyed the demo, and can't wait for
>this one to come out so we'll have something fun to talk about in this group
>for change. JLC

PC Gamer gave Doom 3 94%. Doom 3 is an 84% game, at best.

sketch

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003

It's b/c there have been absolutely no original FPS AAA releases so far this
year. Nothing. This has been a dry year so far. Area 51? Pariah? Both
console ports (reload-a-rama snorefests, really). And Doom 3: RoE was just
an expansion (albeit a good one, IMO).

The magazine is drumming up hype. Unless HL2: Aftermath gets released this
year, I don't see any other FPS of this caliber competing against F.E.A.R.
for the GotY award. And I haven't even tried the demo!

Sadly, all the games I'm looking forward to in the fall will be Xbox360
releases that *may* get ported to the PC.

Andrew

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 03:59:49 -0700, Tecknomage
<tecknode@NOSPAMcts.com> wrote:

>SteamKiller, my sentiments _exactly_! You and I see eye-to-eye on PC
>gaming.
>
>==== Tecknomage ====
<rest of completely malformed .sig snipped>

I think you should change your nick to Ludditemage then.

What could be more fun than reading STEAMkilla's rants and Butterpant's
personal blogs?

--
there is no .sig
"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> this one to come out so we'll have something fun to talk about in this
> group for change. JLC

Doom3 was the most overhyped, expensive, boring game I've played in a long
while. I got the "collector's edition" for ~$60.00. It's a tech demo in
search of a game. I actually have more fun playing the FEAR demo and Jedi
Knight 2: Jedi Outcast than Doom3:ROE. Which reminds me, I've got to
uninstall Doom3 since it's just a waste of hard disk space.

--
there is no .sig

Kevin wrote:

> Doom 3 is an 84% game, at best.

It is not!

70% tops...

JLC wrote:
> Just got the latest PC Gamer in the mail today and they have a huge review
> of F.E.A.R in this months issue. The review is about the same size as they
> gave HL2 for those that had a chance to read that one. I haven't had a
> chance to read the whole thing yet, but from what I have read, it's sounding
> like it could be the next "Big One" I enjoyed the demo, and can't wait for
> this one to come out so we'll have something fun to talk about in this group
> for change. JLC

There's a thread on the official F.E.A.R. forum, which has the "review
box" details about the game:

Highs: Kinetic destruction in combat; propulsive narrative; genuinely
creepy; movie-quality audio.

Lows: A bit too derivative of some key influences; surprisingly
conventional plot.

Bottom Line: A highly entertaining shooter that makes good on its high
concept.

steamKILLER wrote:

> 4. steam free! oh god it feels so good being able to buy a
> pc game steam free, a pure product, not contaminated, not
> infected, not restrictive, that really respect us pc gamers
> purity in retail is SO IMPORTANT!

Do you own an EB franchise by any chance? You seem to be totally
obsessed with the retail avenue of game purchasing.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:02:26 -0700, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>Just got the latest PC Gamer in the mail today and they have a huge review
>of F.E.A.R in this months issue. The review is about the same size as they
>gave HL2 for those that had a chance to read that one. I haven't had a
>chance to read the whole thing yet, but from what I have read, it's sounding
>like it could be the next "Big One" I enjoyed the demo, and can't wait for
>this one to come out so we'll have something fun to talk about in this group
>for change. JLC

I haven't trusted a PC Gamer review in years. I stopped subscribing
to their mag years ago. There is something up with them.

-pw

use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net for e-mail

Doug wrote:
> Doom3 was the most overhyped, expensive, boring game I've played in a long
> while. I got the "collector's edition" for ~$60.00. It's a tech demo in
> search of a game. I actually have more fun playing the FEAR demo and Jedi
> Knight 2: Jedi Outcast than Doom3:ROE. Which reminds me, I've got to
> uninstall Doom3 since it's just a waste of hard disk space.

I enjoyed Doom 3 for what it was.

Am just replaying it on my new pc : and you know what? It *is*
replayable : the second time around its not as "scary" since you take it
more slowly and enjoy the incredible attention to atmospherics. a 90%
game IMO for a corridoor shooter genre member. Cant play it for more
than 20 minutes or so though : it's just to tense. Not as scary as SS2
(calling Werner ...), but damn moody and dark.

--
Walter Mitty
-

J0ck_Str4p wrote:
> What is your prob with STEAM?
>
> I like that it keeps all my stuff updated so I don't have to
> piss about looking, downloading, and installing updates manually,
> trying to find the quickest source because I was in a clan match in 20
> mins.
>
> Aaaah.... Has it stopped you pirating your games? Stopped you cheating
> in CS:S?
>
> Heh..Get over it.
>
> Steam does nothing but good in my eyes.
>
> I said YES to Steam, HL2, CS:S and all the Sierra/Vivendi stuff,
> because it rocks, and is worth paying for.
>
> Now go change the record.

You do not argue with steamKILLER, because all you'll end up with is a
headache. What you can do however is make fun at his expense, turn his
words against him, point out his flaws and make him realise that he's
alone in the world, and will die alone too.

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:

> Just got the latest PC Gamer in the mail today and they have a huge
> review of F.E.A.R in this months issue. The review is about the same
> size as they gave HL2 for those that had a chance to read that one. I
> haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet, but from what I have
> read, it's sounding like it could be the next "Big One" I enjoyed the
> demo, and can't wait for this one to come out so we'll have something
> fun to talk about in this group for change. JLC

If FEAR is the best this year has to offer it's a shitty year.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

x-no-archive: yes

J0ck_Str4p wrote:

> What is your prob with STEAM?

you know what the problem is with steam? i'll tell you the
problem with steam mister

the problem with steam is not every pc gamer is like you
is this so difficult to understand? is it?
or do you think every one has the same tastes and the same
system like you?
you like steam fine but others don't!
you can use steam but others can't!

first not every pc gamer likes steam
not every pc gamer wants to use steam for anticheat and for
finding multiplayer servers or for auto-updating
all these features are already available in pc games but
in other utilities which are optional and can be used if
the pc gamers wants to
are you reading this mister? the pc gamer chooses if he
wants to use them or not! he's not FORCED to use against
his own will
but with steam everything is FORCED upon you!
we are FORCED to use steam if we want to play valve games
there is no choice
there is no options
there is no alternative
if you don't like steam you should not be FORCED to use it

but there is another very important issue
privacy
steam ends privacy in pc games
you no longer can play pc games ANONYMOUSLY and PRIVATELY
cause valve is MONITORING you
valve is WATCHING you!
valve is SPYING you!
valve with steam becomes "big brother"

and last but not least there is the extremely important
problem of system requirements
steam requires an internet broadband connection and not
every pc gamer around the world has it
i'm talking about having it in the computer you use for
games cause most of us have access to internet in our job
or other places but not in the computer we use for games

so you see steam is FULL of problems, all kinds of them
but you still are totally blind to those problems... why?
probably you are careless about pc gamers
probably you are simply selfish
probably you are too lazy to think about the issues
no matter what the reason is one thing is for sure you
are not being a conscience consumer with a critic spirit
but rather a weak submissive one
in a few years time when steam evolves to a pure service
based system with games being available only to rent and
in a episodic/modular format making you pay much more
than you are now used to then you will probably change
your mind... but by then it will be too late...

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

<paulwilliamsonremove@removespamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:02:26 -0700, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Just got the latest PC Gamer in the mail today and they have a huge review
>>of F.E.A.R in this months issue. The review is about the same size as they
>>gave HL2 for those that had a chance to read that one. I haven't had a
>>chance to read the whole thing yet, but from what I have read, it's
>>sounding
>>like it could be the next "Big One" I enjoyed the demo, and can't wait for
>>this one to come out so we'll have something fun to talk about in this
>>group
>>for change. JLC
>>

> I haven't trusted a PC Gamer review in years. I stopped subscribing
> to their mag years ago. There is something up with them.

I don't trust their reviews on big games where they get an exclusive or
whatnot. But they are a decent enough monthly read for the price. Especially
since they've expanded their "mods" column and list lots of good fan-made
mods to various games, both old and new (this month's had a link to a
Fallout 2 mod that I never knew existed).

I just don't have time to be involved in each game's community to know what
good mods are out there, so this is a big help. They also sometimes review a
game I hadn't heard of that interests me.

However, the magazine has been shrinking steadily - I suspect it will be no
more in a few years, and they will move to an online component that competes
with Gamespot (lotsa luck there)

Andrew

On 15 Sep 2005 23:52:23 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>If FEAR is the best this year has to offer it's a shitty year.

I would agree apart from BF2 having been released.

Andrew wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2005 23:52:23 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >If FEAR is the best this year has to offer it's a shitty year.
>
> I would agree apart from BF2 having been released.

Yeah. A mod for a 3 year old game BF1942. Sorry, that certainly isn't
GOTY material there.

L.Tatipata wrote:
> All our hardware allready have a backdoor built in by the manufacturer,
> always assume that if u go online, they ( the big all seeing EYE) WILL find
> out WHAT u do and WHERE u are and eventually WHO u are.. if they're
> interested in u, gods forbid.

Paranoid much?

Andrew wrote:
> DC, but the net result is great fun.

Meh. :)

I might pick it up some day when it's appropriately priced for what you
get.

Knight37

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:51:39 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>I think Chronicles of Riddick played much better if the demo is anything to
>go by...

CoR is a good game and much better than D3, even looks better IMO.
It's a bit short in play length though.

Thusly Kevin <no@SPAM.here> Spake Unto All:

>>I think Chronicles of Riddick played much better if the demo is anything to
>>go by...
>
>CoR is a good game and much better than D3, even looks better IMO.
>It's a bit short in play length though.

It's a nice game, certainly deserved better sales than it got, yeah.
My main complaint were the ridiculously small maps, so there were long

Hopefully that particular kind of console silliness is something we
wont see much once xbox2 is released.

Andrew

On 16 Sep 2005 08:27:01 -0700, "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah. A mod for a 3 year old game BF1942. Sorry, that certainly isn't
>GOTY material there.

It isn't a mod. It is easily GOTY for me as far as FPS go, GTA:SA
holds the crown overall for me though.

steamKILLER wrote:

> valve is SPYING you!

Bullshit. There have been several reports by security companies
showing/proving that Steam is not Spyware. People have run
packet-sniffers and verified that Steam connects to its
content/authorization servers and nothing else, and only the required
data is transmitted.

Ignore the stats if you must, but Steam is definately not Spyware.

"GFree" <neon@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> steamKILLER wrote:
>
>> valve is SPYING you!
>
> Bullshit. There have been several reports by security companies
> showing/proving that Steam is not Spyware. People have run packet-sniffers
> and verified that Steam connects to its content/authorization servers and
> nothing else, and only the required data is transmitted.
>
> Ignore the stats if you must, but Steam is definately not Spyware.

To be honest,it doesnt matter if its spyware, as long as it dont clog ure
system.
All our hardware allready have a backdoor built in by the manufacturer,
always assume that if u go online, they ( the big all seeing EYE) WILL find
out WHAT u do and WHERE u are and eventually WHO u are.. if they're
interested in u, gods forbid.

have a nice night...

yveL dr.Knievel

ME

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:29:16 +0930, GFree <neon@gmail.com> wrote:

>steamKILLER wrote:
>
>> valve is SPYING you!
>
>Bullshit. There have been several reports by security companies
>showing/proving that Steam is not Spyware. People have run
>packet-sniffers and verified that Steam connects to its
>content/authorization servers and nothing else, and only the required
>data is transmitted.
Got any links?

>Ignore the stats if you must, but Steam is definately not Spyware.
They download info about your PC and since they make you log on for
nothing they are in a position to start spying anytime they want.

Questions:
1. Why do they make you connect to play SP games if they don't
transmit information?

2. Why do they not disconnect when you are done playing their games?

3. Why do they want us connected all the time to their network?