pc gamers thoughts on the new xbox one x?

Oct 6, 2017
so, in the next 2 months i'm gonna have some money to spend on a new gaming rig and my question was...

what do pc gamers think about the upcoming xbox console ?

for $500 a rig that can play stuff at 4k 30/60 fps doesn't seem too bad to me.

my last gaming console was the ps3 and i stopped cuz the latest games like bf 4 and shadows of mordor run ABYSMALLY on that thing, never bought the newer generation consoles.

i was planning to build a $1200 pc but then some weeks ago i saw what the xbox x was capable of for $500 so i'm not sure so sure anymore...

i would like to hear some pc gamers opinions abou the subject

Solution

I doubt the new xbox will run high end games at 60fps in true 4k.. there is no point in playing 30fps in 4k as...

silverfeather

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

you should first focus on what games you wanna play.....choose the best platform for you and then you go for it.

Oct 6, 2017

yeah exclusive wise the xbox x has nothing to me more or less the same as pc (altough i love strategy games and simulation n'stuff) so that's the games, but value wise? i don't know especially right now that pc parts like ram, hdd's, graphics cards and powersupplies are overpriced

silverfeather

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

thats really up to you... i have a pc and a ps4...cant live without both of them :p

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm really skeptical about 4K gaming on the new Xbox. Either they're turning down settings quite a bit to achieve that, or they're doing some other sort of trickery like rendering at a lower resolution and upscaling. Try looking up 4K/high settings benchmarks for a RX 480/580 to see how well it handles 4K.

Pretty sure even something like a GTX 1050 could handle 4K if you turn all the settings to low...

Oct 6, 2017

one month and we will see

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

I doubt the new xbox will run high end games at 60fps in true 4k.. there is no point in playing 30fps in 4k as it's going to look horrible with the lag. I've been playing at 60fps 1080p for the last few years since switching over to only pc gaming. I had to turn some games down before I upgraded my gpu and 30fps looks horrible once your use to 60.

I would focus more on getting 60fps on whatever resolution the display your going to use or the one you plan to buy in the next year or two. What you can get for 1200 is so far beyond what the xbox could even consider doing. You can get a higher end i5/i7/ryzen, 1070 & SSD drive for that price. You can do something like an i5/ryzen with rx 580 for much less than 1200 and that is still going to blow away the new xbox. don't be fooled by those marketing gimmicks, it's not real 4k and def not 60fps..

Don't forget how much money you will save on games. PC games cost far far less than console ones. I rarely buy a game at 60$. 2 of my most played games recently 350+ hours in each is Atlas Reactor & Minion Masters, both f2p games. I spent 30$ on atlas to unlock all the characters and about 50$ on minion masters, but only after deciding I liked the game. You can always try expensive games on PC with steams return policy. If you wait for sales you will almost always pay at least 50% less. You can also purchase keys from 3rd party companies for a good 20-30% less almost as soon as the game comes out. I bought Grim Dawn on sale for about 12$ and put 300+ hours into it as well.

Don't forget about humble bundle either. I've got tons of amazing games from there and the monthly bundle is only 12$ and you almost always get 1 AAA game that is really good. If you don't like the game you hold the key and trade it with someone else for something you want.

I would estimate that I have saved a minimum of several hundreds of dollars over the last 4 years since I switched to pc gaming. I can't think of 1 console game that I put a lot of time into that didn't cost much other than maybe Trials and that was nowhere near the 300 hour range.

The only reason to consider what you wanna play is if you are 100% dead set on playing console exclusive titles. Bloodborne on PS4, but I can't think of any on xbox because those games are on pc as well. You can get most if not all of the exclusives on pc too.

TLDR:
What games do you play now and do you notice the massive difference between 60 and 30fps? Do you own a 4k display? If yes to both of those then go with pc or you will be let down with the xbox. Get a GTX 1070 or equivalent if you want to really play in 4k on high settings.

Solution