Discussion pc games and reviews

I mostly use the steam client but i also use the epic , gog , blizzard and origin clients.
Their are several things in pc games that annoy me.

1. Software companies release games in alpha , beta or early access form , they let you have the games at a reduced price and say ... please note the games may crash , hence the reduced price. Even though we can get the games at a special price , why should we act as unpaid bug hunting employees , this never used to happen. A downside to this is that in say the case of steam you can get a refund if you have owned the game for less than 2 weeks and used it for less than 2 hours BUT be warned , i have read posts where players have said excessive refund requests may give them the right to turn you down.

2. Before getting a game i look at reviews and am surprised at the number of bad reviews some popular games get , i have actually avoided buying some games because of the number of crash reports that have been posted. A couple of times i have actually thought blow the bad reports and got the game of choice anyway , i then use it from beginning to end without a problem ???

3. One thing that really puzzles me is why some games either old or new just refuse to work on some peoples machines. My rig cost £3,000 and although that is a lot of money their are gamers with better set ups than mine that report they cant run a certain game that i did not have a problem with . I have also seen players with lower spec machines than mine that can run games that case me a nightmare.

4 One person was bad mouthing a game so i said lower some of your settings , for example i said lower frame rate , can you actually see the difference between 100 and 120 fps , i cant !!! The guy just said i dont want to lower anything and just repeated that the game was pants.

5. Unless you have bionic eyes it is surprising how much you can tweak settings in a game to take some of the demands off your rig BUT some stubborn players just refuse to do it.

With regards to why some games just wont run on some rigs , a dev wrote to me saying , all his team used identical machines to reduce the risk of problems during programming , he went on to say that for no apparent reason one of his machines would refuse to do what it should.

Reviews and user experiences vary a lot. There's no rule of thumb on what sites are totally trustworthy or not. With experience, over time you will know how to disregard overly high or low ratings as exaggerations, and make a better overall assessment.

TRENDING THREADS