Pc gaming 1000$ or less

zzboi

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
Hi guys,

My girlfriend is building a gaming pc. Can you help me build something in that price range?

in general, im thinking, core i5, maybe 8gb rams, 1tb hdd and 120 ssd. a z97 motherboard and the prodigy case by bitfenix. im just no so sure about the video card. so can anyone point me to the right direction price wise?

shes a gamer but not a hardcore gamer. she likes to play dota 2, counterstrike. she may want to play games like watchdog EVENTUALLY though.

hope someone replies. :)

regards,

Solution
The GTX 750 should play both Dota and Counter Strike around ultra settings.

More demanding games like watchdogs would require a graphics card such as a R9 270 or R9 280. Your budget should allow for a R9 280x or maybe a R9 290.

I'll try to post a build later on today.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
You say eventually... would you rather start with a cheap CPU that can handle Dota and CS with ease and upgrade later on to an i5 Broadwell, or just start with the i5?

Games like Dota and CS are very low demanding and price wise you're looking at around $400-$500 without the OS.

What I'm thinking you could do is start with a Z97 motherboard and a Pentium G3258. For the PSU I would go with preferably 620W and above for future upgrades. For the graphics card a GTX 750 would do for now. Later on you could upgrade the CPU and GPU to play more demanding games. The SSD isn't really needed, but it's nice to have for a <10 second boot time and reduced loading times.

Eviscerare

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Here's a quick system I threw together, PCPartpicker didn't have the prodigy for some reason so I just chose one that's slightly more expensive so that'll give you a bit of headroom to work with if you do choose the prodigy. Some things that I might change up are replacing the 120 GB SSD with a 250GB, still Samsung 840 EVO because the performance of the 250 is actually higher than the 120 for w/e technical reasons. You can google review/benchmarks for extra info if you want to.

Also the system doesn't include an optical drive or Windows, I kinda just assumed that you already have a copy of Windows that you can boot from USB, but if not, there's a couple $20 optical drives that can be found that work really well. The GTX 760 will definitely cover CS/Dota and probably 90% of any other games you want to play at 1080p.

Another change I might suggest is with the upgrade to the 250 GB SSD, just don't even get the 1TB HDD, depending on if you like to have your own music/movie files as opposed to services like Spotify/Netflix. You can always get an external or even internal later on.

zzboi

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
thanks guys! i can feel the love! <3 lol im checking them out right now

im thinking of thr 1tb coz its cheaper. and im just gonna install the games there and download files there that i dont mind not loading very much. ssd is where im gonna install the os for 5 sec boot. :) and correct, im just gonna boot os from usb coz other than that I dont think shell be using the cd rom.

so gtx 760 huh? i have the gtx 770 personally and i think she doesnt need that much power.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
The GTX 750 should play both Dota and Counter Strike around ultra settings.

More demanding games like watchdogs would require a graphics card such as a R9 270 or R9 280. Your budget should allow for a R9 280x or maybe a R9 290.

I'll try to post a build later on today.

Solution