PC Gaming at College Options

Alright, guys, it's that beautiful time in a person's life where we get to leave high school and do a bunch of stupid shit while learning cool shit. However, there is a lot of free time. I'm talking college. I'm going this fall to a school and I am an avid computer gamer. What I mean by avid is that I like to play in my spare time, but not too much. I don't have the best time management skills but I get work done when it needs to be done. I will be running for the school's team, all three seasons. (BTW computer engineer major + roughly $1000 hopefully to spend)

My questions are:

Between all the homework, social life, classes, and running. Do you think it is viable to game?

Should I use my saved up money to:
A) Buy a new desktop computer and TV (multi-purpose)?
B) Buy a new gaming laptop and keyboard, mouse, and TV (for gaming, not a huge fan of laptops)
C) Xbox/PS4 and TV and a decent laptop (no gaming though)
D) New desktop, old monitor, crappy but usable laptop
E) None of the above (please list)

I understand college is expensive and I will be paying for it all on my own. Should I just save the money?

Miro-ATX or Mid-Tower? Cube?

Here is what I'm hoping will get me through 4 years of college and still have some longevity afterwards: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NwhPMp (Can this mobo OC my CPU?)

Thank you

Ian

11sphere92

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($111.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 600W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $793.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 22:13 EST-0500

The motherboard is overclockable.
But the CPU aren't.

So to answer your question,
Can this mobo OC - YES
Can this mobo OC your CPU - NO

You will need a "K" behind. Example I5 - 6600k, I7 - 6700k (These are skylake CPU that is overclockable)

Ah, I thought I saw somewhere that it was possible to OC the locked ones through a series of weird things... haha
Thank you!

11sphere92

Distinguished

Hahaha.

If you are still using that 6500, should go get H170 would be cheaper, like 20 bucks more. Or if you are taking mini / micro ATX board, would be cheaper

But the question is should I even buy a pc?

11sphere92

Distinguished
Definitely a yes if you are asking to buy PC. 1000$ gonna last like 5 years ++ and you can use your PC to games and study as well...

Im not a fan of laptop aswell, and other console.

Alright, I guess i'll get that pc part list with the z710 board so I can oc later if i want to

Thank you all