PC Gaming Roundup - February 24, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Wow!!! "Paradox also needs help from historical researchers in order to improve the databases, as apparently the development team
slept through History class (not really, it just sounded fun to write)." Let's just make stuff up as we write an article...Who needs facts anyways, right?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Since I can already get this information if I cared to, you'd think the journalism would be good reason I would come here.

This just prove that horribly wrong.

exfileme

Splendid
Thanks for your comments. I am always glad to hear back from readers. The Roundup numbers are spectacular, and hopefully we can get Tom's Games back in no time! Thanks again for your support!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]exfileme[/nom]Thanks for your comments. I am always glad to hear back from readers. The Roundup numbers are spectacular, and hopefully we can get Tom's Games back in no time! Thanks again for your support![/citation]
If this is what Tom's Games will be like if it comes back, I don't want it Mr.Parrish.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
@ Tindytim : How come every time I see a comment by you, it's flaming the site for misleading titles or useless articles? Just don't use this site if you don't like it? There are plenty of us readers who do enjoy comming here, so it doesn't nessecarily depend on you. Personally I would like second take back instead of just a daily news piece, but this daily news piece is still a lot better than nothing at all. And I dare say I'd rather have this like it is now, which is less tech facts and more entertaining, than I'd have something which you seem to want (a datasheet like news piece).

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I'd rather have this like it is now, which is less tech facts and more entertaining[/citation]
...you want less Tech information on a tech site? and I'm the one with the problem?

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]@ Tindytim : How come every time I see a comment by you, it's flaming the site for misleading titles or useless articles? [/citation]
Because you're only reading the 'entertaining' articles. I don't need superfluous adjectives spouted about to make news more 'interesting'.

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]than I'd have something which you seem to want (a datasheet like news piece).[/citation]
This is a tech site, for technical information. I don't need someone to write out the contents of a spreadsheet, when I have the ability to read it.

I don't want approximations, I don't want rough, opinionated, guesses. I want hard numbers, and hard facts. The SMB marathon is great, the Round-ups are excellent, and the comparisions are highly informative. But those seems to be coming less, and we seem to be getting more articles rife with misleading information, some of it intentional.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Additional news from yesterday Left 4 Dead got patched and one fix stops the cheating on No Mercy (blocking doorways and entrances). Just thought I'd pass this one along.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
This is still a step up from that OCZ keyboard ad you put up a few days back, and infinitely better than Jane McEntegart's spamming of that Google story.

I expect Jane to make another three or four posts about that before she's done.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]...you want less Tech information on a tech site? and I'm the one with the problem?[/citation]
If it comes at the expense of quality yes. I don't want this site to become a bunch of KB articles just because someone else doesn't enjoy well written articles.
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Because you're only reading the 'entertaining' articles. I don't need superfluous adjectives spouted about to make news more 'interesting'.[/citation]
If you want objectivity, go read a datasheet or something about a virus on symantec's site. That's the kind of dry, boring and useless information that you want. I on the other hand want to know stuff without feeling bored. I read this site on my coffee break, I don't read it because I have to. Which would be the case if this is as boring as you want it to be.
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]This is a tech site, for technical information. I don't need someone to write out the contents of a spreadsheet, when I have the ability to read it.I don't want approximations, I don't want rough, opinionated, guesses. I want hard numbers, and hard facts. The SMB marathon is great, the Round-ups are excellent, and the comparisions are highly informative. But those seems to be coming less, and we seem to be getting more articles rife with misleading information, some of it intentional.[/citation]
Apart from a questionable article regarding apple pricing, I can't recall any articles with misleading information. Unimaginative/uncreative people now and then complain about headlines not always fitting the text, but that's about it. And I'm not such person. As for dry and unbiased tech information with no shadow of guesswork - that has never been the case on a site like toms hardware! The toms guys are passionate about what they do, so they cannot be unbiased, neither can they avoid guesswork as most of the stuff they're working on isn't supplied with enough trustworthy specsheets to make claims facts. Honestly, if that's the kind of site you want, I'm glad you haven't found it here. But I don't think you'll find any review site to be without guesswork, assumptions or a slight bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.