[SOLVED] PC gets EXTREMELY slow after 20 minutes

May 3, 2021
My windows 7 (ultimate) pc gets slow after 20 minutes, no matter if I use it or not.
When I had windows 10, this issue didn't exist so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Please help me solve this issue.
(I had to remove windows 10 as it lagged too much on my pc lol)

Pc specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
RAM: 6GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB SATA
GPU: integrated Q45/Q43 intel graphic
Any more info needed?

Solution
After slow down shut down takes about 15-20 mins,
But after slow down & benchmark of HDD,
It took about 50secs,
HOW?
The drive has some relocated sectors.
Probably during benchmark they were scanned and moved from pending to relocated status.

Anyway - that is WD Green drive. Should not be used for installing windows on it.
Getting an SSD is proper way of fixing the issue.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
well seems like you've stated it yourself, the OS is the issue and windows 7 is just not capable anymore
the pc you have is pretty out of date, I would recommend saving up and getting a better pc (even something with a core2quad which doesn't cost alot at all, or even upgrading to the Core 2 Duo E8400 which I have ran windows 10 perfectly fine on) will do

May 3, 2021
well seems like you've stated it yourself, the OS is the issue and windows 7 is just not capable anymore
the pc you have is pretty out of date, I would recommend saving up and getting a better pc (even something with a core2quad which doesn't cost alot at all, or even upgrading to the Core 2 Duo E8400 which I have ran windows 10 perfectly fine on) will do
So, can you tell me is core 2 quad better or core 2 Duo E8400?
And which core 2 quad should I get?

May 3, 2021
But why does it get slow after 20 minutes? For the first 20 mins it gets 120+ fps smh but after that it literally just gets 10fps max, is this a windows 7 issue?

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
So, can you tell me is core 2 quad better or core 2 Duo E8400?
And which core 2 quad should I get?
honestly if you have the money, anything like a core i5 4570, or a core i3 3320 would work far better than the core 2 series can offer
but if you have to stick to core 2 quad - Core 2 quad 6600 is solid
(all of these are far better than core2duo E8400, I wouldn't stick to the core2duo series anymore)

Reactions: Krotow

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
But why does it get slow after 20 minutes? For the first 20 mins it gets 120+ fps smh but after that it literally just gets 10fps max, is this a windows 7 issue?
120 fps...In what exactly?
and while it may not be just a windows 7 issue, can't really tell much either. You will need to open up task manager and see what parts of your system are being affected most. Its more or less going to be cpu
https://openhardwaremonitor.org you can use this to monitor the cpu temps

May 3, 2021
Have you checked your thermals, your voltages/wattages etc, your hdd drive health? You can try HWInfo for temps/voltages/throttling etc, Victoria or CrystalDisk for HDD.
Do you have anything in background launched? Checked for malware/viruses? Might be your OS too, have you tried fresh 7/8.1/10 install with minimum software possible? Did you update your chipset drivers?

Performance drops after a time smacks of a thermal issue.
Run hwmonitor.
It will give you the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
If you see much more than 10-15c. over ambient at idle, you have a problem with your cooler.
Perhaps it has come loose.
If you see 100c. as a max, then your cpu has throttled and slowed down until the temperature returns to normal. This yo-yo will repeat.

With 6gb of ram, you must have mismatched ram.
likely, 2 and a 4gb sticks which will result on slower single channel mode for 2gb.
The mismatch may cause inconsistent performance.
To check,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
That will determine what processor upgrades are supported.

One thing which is a great performance enhancer is a ssd for windows.
A 500gb samsung 860 EVO is about $70 and is a trivial conversion.
Such a ssd can be carried forward to a future build.

May 3, 2021
Have you checked your thermals, your voltages/wattages etc, your hdd drive health? You can try HWInfo for temps/voltages/throttling etc, Victoria or CrystalDisk for HDD.
Do you have anything in background launched? Checked for malware/viruses? Might be your OS too, have you tried fresh 7/8.1/10 install with minimum software possible? Did you update your chipset drivers?
Temps are 40-50° c and CPU Load 0-5%
Windows services are running in the background and if I open any application or software it takes 20 minutes or so.
As of the drivers, All the drivers of my 'G41 MOBO' is only available for windows XP as stated in Intel's website.

May 3, 2021
Performance drops after a time smacks of a thermal issue.
Run hwmonitor.
It will give you the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
If you see much more than 10-15c. over ambient at idle, you have a problem with your cooler.
Perhaps it has come loose.
If you see 100c. as a max, then your cpu has throttled and slowed down until the temperature returns to normal. This yo-yo will repeat.

With 6gb of ram, you must have mismatched ram.
likely, 2 and a 4gb sticks which will result on slower single channel mode for 2gb.
The mismatch may cause inconsistent performance.
To check,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
That will determine what processor upgrades are supported.

One thing which is a great performance enhancer is a ssd for windows.
A 500gb samsung 860 EVO is about $70 and is a trivial conversion.
Such a ssd can be carried forward to a future build.
Motherboard= "Frontech G41 DDR3" it supports upto intel core 2 quad
And temps stay the same when the slow down happens and before the slow down (ie. 40-50°c)
I'll try to run the ram software and inform you in a lil bit

May 3, 2021
Temps are 40-50° c and CPU Load 0-5%
Windows services are running in the background and if I open any application or software it takes 20 minutes or so.
As of the drivers, All the drivers of my 'G41 MOBO' is only available for windows XP as stated in Intel's website.

TWENTY minutes to open software? That's odd. On modern systems even 20 seconds is quite slow, it takes one second or less to open anything. Have you tried other HDD/SSD? I recommend buying 120gb SSD at least for windows and application, you'll need it anyway. Mobo is also suspicious, it's old and it's not a major vendor (I have asus 775 mobo working for 10+ years flawlessly).

May 3, 2021
TWENTY minutes to open software? That's odd. On modern systems even 20 seconds is quite slow, it takes one second or less to open anything. Have you tried other HDD/SSD? I recommend buying 120gb SSD at least for windows and application, you'll need it anyway. Mobo is also suspicious, it's old and it's not a major vendor (I have asus 775 mobo working for 10+ years flawlessly).
I may buy a different storage drive, and I have the same Mobo in another windows 10 pc and it's fine, I bought this Mobo 1yr ago so I'd think it's the problem

May 3, 2021

Honestly I would go with Samsung or Kingston for extra quality, bad SSD can cause alot of issues too. Youre buying it once for many years for your OS and software, keep in mind.
And try checking your current HDD health, maybe it's reallocating sectors or just failing, so you are 100% sure it's HDD.

ANY SSD will be vastly better than any HDD.
I might suggest the samsung evo for one good reason:
They have a ssd migration utility that copies your C drive to their ssd.
I have used this many times without issue.
You can download the app and instructions here:

A problematic drive, though does not explain why you have an issue after time.
One possibility is that you have an app with a storage leak.
Use task manager to see what is going on before and after the issue happens.
Look for unusual CPU or ram usage, Hard drive I/O, internet activity.....

May 3, 2021
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Today I found out that the problem is related to the HDD as during the slow down, the disk usage spikes from 0B/Sec to 100% usage and I think this is causing the issue, Is there any solution for this?

Background story of the HDD:
It was bought 3yrs ago and failed 1 time, it smh got repaired and it is having these problems now.
(I got to know these things from my uncle as he bought the drive)