Question PC gets faster upload speeds with wifi than ethernet cable

Psyblade

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2015
I have a Netgear 1900 c7000v2 modem/router (installed in April 2019) eternetted to my PC (March 2019). I normally get about 280mbps download and 10mbps upload. Recently, I am getting 0.6 mbps on the upload. I have reset the modem, changed the port and cable, checked for updates, etc. I switched to wifi and got 230 on the download and 10.8 on the upload, ie pretty normal for wifi with the other PCs/Laptops in the house that operate on wifi. So, what is wrong? Any idea if I have a mechanical problem with the modem/router, or the PC?

I have a Netgear 1900 c7000v2 modem/router (installed in April 2019) eternetted to my PC (March 2019). I normally get about 280mbps download and 10mbps upload. Recently, I am getting 0.6 mbps on the upload. I have reset the modem, changed the port and cable, checked for updates, etc. I switched to wifi and got 230 on the download and 10.8 on the upload, ie pretty normal for wifi with the other PCs/Laptops in the house that operate on wifi. So, what is wrong? Any idea if I have a mechanical problem with the modem/router, or the PC?
PC system specs? And did you make sure you were trying to install the proper Ethernet drivers that launched with the mobo not using windows drivers or any of that?

Psyblade

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2015
PC system specs? And did you make sure you were trying to install the proper Ethernet drivers that launched with the mobo not using windows drivers or any of that?
Not sure what specs you want/need, but:
Dell XPS 8930 (Apr 2019)
Intel i7-8700 @ 3.2 ghz
16 RAM
Win 10 22H2
Killer E2400 gb Ethernet Controller
Qualcomm QCA 9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter
Nvidia GEforce GTX 1050 Ti
Baseboard Dell, ODF425, A00

I'd guess that your "test" is to attach the ethernet cable but not disabling WiFi. That make it two paths between your router (aka. just a normal switch with no spanning tree protocol or similar features) and your computer. This creates an unwanted loop on the network that cause congestion of network packages.

Your issue is probably similar to this, although not as severe
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liRdZ5p1Xp4

I'd guess that your "test" is to attach the ethernet cable but not disabling WiFi. That make it two paths between your router (aka. just a normal switch with no spanning tree protocol or similar features) and your computer. This creates an unwanted loop on the network that cause congestion of network packages.

Your issue is probably similar to this, although not as severe
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liRdZ5p1Xp4
Windows is actually smart enough to prevent this. The 2 interfaces are not bridged so you can not get a broadcast loop. What it does is assign a metric to whatever port it thinks is faster, almost always the ethernet. If you have multiple ethernet or wifi its hard to say which it decides is best.
All the ports can be on at the same time and it will use the metric to decide which port to use. Most times if you unplug the ethernet it will switch to the wifi almost transparently. Sort of a form of redundancy but it can take some time to switch over.

But it does not answer what the original issue is. Most times it is some kind of software limiting the port. Many times it is gamer QoS software like CFOSspeed that is bundled with bloatware on motherboards and video cards. But the effect is not so great as the OP reports which is why I did not post this suggestion to begin with.

Psyblade

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2015
So, I guess I am left with no direction to go to figure it out? I am not highly PC competent. I have Killer intelligence Center on the PC, although frankly I don't know what it does or if I need it. Do you think it would make any difference if I upgraded to Windows 11? I suppose I can leave things as is, and if I have to upload something large (which I did recently and is how I found out about the problem) I can just shift to wifi and get my normal upload speed. My system has not changed much over time so I don't know why the upload all of a sudden dropped so much, seemingly all of a sudden.

I have no idea what the killer software is now that intel got it. Previously this was some of the most buggy stuff you could find and it was extremely hard to fix because it was partially built into the device drivers. When I used to look for motherboards if it had a killer chipset it automatically was disqualified.

I don't think intel is that stupid but I still suspect this is mostly bloatware that serves no purpose. There is no software you can run on your machine that will affect traffic outside your machine and especially on the internet. It can only control network between applications on your machine and if you have a network bottleneck inside your machine you have a far worse issue than silly software can fix.

I would try to uninstall it and see if your problem goes away. I would not move to windows 11 just for this reason. Windows 11 itself has lots more bloat built into the system that you can't uninstall.