[SOLVED] PC gets hot fast

Jan 16, 2022
Hi, I have a old thread asking about how to configure pc cooling. I'm back again with an new thread because my pc simply gets too hot too quickly.
Here is my case, and my current cooling cooling methods.
My pc gets hot, fast and obviously I feel performance drops in games.
Id like to know if there's something I can do to change the airflow etc and try help with cooling.
(If the photo doesn't show it the exhaust fan is on top of the case)

I have a tiny incline that the cooler is an issue, I don't think it's a very good cooler and I still have the stock wraith cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 2600. The cooler is mounted using a retention thing and it's on an AM4 slot.

It's worth noting that it has been getting hotter in england, however this has been an issue since before the increasingly hot weather.

Thanks everyone.

for info, specs
ATX Aorus B450 Elite
16 (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RAM (clocked to 3200mhz)
Ryzen 5 2600
RTX 2060

Solution
CPU fan appears to be backwards.

Should be pushing through the heatsink by default. If that is how it is installed, then your top exhaust fan is directly fighting the CPU cooler for airflow.

If you have the CPU fan blowing up, that is still not quite how it should be. The fan should be on the 'bottom' of the heatsink pushing air through the fin stack and into the exhaust fan.

Your chassis isn't the best for intake either.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Should be pushing through the heatsink by default. If that is how it is installed, then your top exhaust fan is directly fighting the CPU cooler for airflow.

If you have the CPU fan blowing up, that is still not quite how it should be. The fan should be on the 'bottom' of the heatsink pushing air through the fin stack and into the exhaust fan.

Solution
Jan 16, 2022

yes I feel it's best to get a new case also, im working on that.

So you're saying I should rotate the cooler 180° so the fan faces down, the hot air comes out of the heat sink and is exhausted our the top.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can see the little cable and copper wire that's typically visible at the back of a fan. You have the top fan and cpu cooler fan fighting one another.

Thats one of those Phanteks' P400Ss? This one is just like NZXT's H500 series - no front fans. This is a negative pressure focused chassis; adding fans at the front is sometimes detrimental.

Solution:
1)Remove both of those front fans, and install one of them in the rear - as exhaust, of course.
2)That cpu cooler needs to be turned 90 degrees clockwise - unless there's something preventing you from doing that..?

Jan 16, 2022
I can see the little cable and copper wire that's typically visible at the back of a fan. You have the top fan and cpu cooler fan fighting one another.

Thats one of those Phanteks' P400Ss? This one is just like NZXT's H500 series - no front fans. This is a negative pressure focused chassis; adding fans at the front is sometimes detrimental.

Solution:
1)Remove both of those front fans, and install one of them in the rear - as exhaust, of course.
2)That cpu cooler needs to be turned 90 degrees clockwise - unless there's something preventing you from doing that..?
from what I remember it's impossible for me to mount it sideways due to how the socket is, I can look but 99% sure it's impossible from memory but if it's possible I'll give it a try

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
from what I remember it's impossible for me to mount it sideways due to how the socket is, I can look but 99% sure it's impossible from memory but if it's possible I'll give it a try
Well, if the heatsink can't be turned, then next is to remove the fan and let the rear and top fans take care of removing the heat. That would be better than the current fan Vs fan scenario going on right now.
Moving the cpu cooler's fan to the other side... the gpu's back is right there.

So yeah, if you can't rotate that heatsink, remove the fan, and have the rear + top fans do the exhausting.

Jan 16, 2022
Well, if the heatsink can't be turned, then next is to remove the fan and let the rear and top fans take care of removing the heat. That would be better than the current fan Vs fan scenario going on right now.
Moving the cpu cooler's fan to the other side... the gpu's back is right there.

So yeah, if you can't rotate that heatsink, remove the fan, and have the rear + top fans do the exhausting.
okay so to confirm,
if I can rotate 90°, remove both front case fans (or just one?) and apply one at the back, have the heatsink face the back exhaust fan and have a fan on top of the case.

If not able to rotate 90°c remove the fan off the CPU Cooler, and allow back and top fans to exhaust, what fan would intake or do i leave one fan at the front?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No fans at the front. Period.
Take one of those fans and make them a rear exhaust.

If the cpu cooler can't be oriented like so:
iu
Then remove its fan.

Jan 16, 2022

iu
Then remove its fan.
thank you very much my friend, highly appreciate it.

would you mind recommending me some cases that's better for air flow?
if it helps not clog the thread my discord is raccc#8706 but if it's okay to discuss it here than that's alright

Jan 16, 2022

iu
Then remove its fan.
hello, I've done what you said as it was impossible to change the fan + cooler 90°, is this how you described it to be, both fans are exhausting
Cooling

Jan 16, 2022
Yes, that's it. Now, what happens to thermals?
well I'm yet to turn my pc on, I'm bothered about how it could be poor for my cpu not having the CPU fan on the heatsink? I'm not sure maybe I'm wrong

I just don't understand not having an intake? but I suppose we're creating a negative pressure thing, just to remove hot air rather intake cool air?
if you're absolutely sure this is how I should have it, I'll take your word for it.

and are im sure my fans are exhausting, but if you can see well enough on the image, can you confirm? thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The case's design plays a large part in airflow and how one should set up their cooling.
A bit oversimplified:
1)Lots of open gaps or seams lean to neutral pressure; how the fans are set up in them doesn't have as much an impact as the other two. Examples:
Cooler Master H500(blank) with the front mesh panel equipped.
Thermaltake's AH(Attack Helicopter) series, and Core P3.
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh.

2)More open surface area devoted to intakes than exhausts: positive pressure. The top panel is closed or has small gaps. Like negative pressure, trying to work against it(trying to organize more exhaust) can be detrimental to cooling. Examples:
Cooler Master H500M/P Mesh
Silverstone PM01
Aerocool P7-C1

3)More open surface area to exhausts. Both front and top panels could be solid or semi-solid, and it would still lean to negative, because the rear grille is almost never sealed off. Air comes in from all possible gaps that aren't being used for exhaust. Examples:
NZXT's H500 and H700
be quiet! Pure Base 600
Phanteks P360X

PC runs 60°c IDLE, this was worse than before. I'm going to put on the cpu fan again.
The idea was to check the cpu's temperatures in game...