Question pc gets kinda toasty

Mar 19, 2019
so I bought this pre-built pc a couple of months ago the cpu is a i5 2500 and the gpu is a 1060 3gb and the mb is a Foxconn h61mxe/-s/-v/-k so during idle time the temps overall are around 40-50ish which is alright but the problem starts when I game the max it'll go would be 85 which as you can imagine is a little warm I bought it during the fall so the warmness didn't really bother me but now that spring is here and summer is around the corner i'm not really too keen on sweating every time I wanna game I still have warranty in case any of the parts are faulty but that's something I would like to use as a last resort based on my research it could be one of these things to blame

the voltage is incorrect/or some messed up settings in the bios

the heatsinkfan or the fans themselves (idk I have no knowledge of computer parts or where they go) are installed incorrectly

poor fan placement/cable management

based on benchmarks of similar builds my temps should be around 60-70ish not over 80 how should I go about to find the problem I am a complete novice when it comes to computers there are three fans and they light up in a blue light which looks nice but is obviously useless if they can't cool the pc maybe one of the fans isn't on or something I just wanna play games without playing next to a fire

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Thats a problem with prebuilt systems, airflow is not well managed and they use cheap components, with those low class motherboard bios is locked and you cant change any of the voltage values, make sure thats not the case, put tour hand close to fan while running and feel the air and that should help you find out if fans are mounted wrong, if you have fan on cpu thats parallel to motherboard its a stock fan and doesnt cool well and u have replace with a better vertical mounted cpu heatsink and fan, evo 212 is the best and cheapest for better cpu cooling and you also need to have 1 or 2 fans at front lower part to bring in cool air to feed gpu and cpu cooler and 1 or 2 exhaust fans up top to remove hot air and create overall better airflow, watch youtube videos on how to install cpu cooler and its not that hard, good luck.

Mar 19, 2019
Thats a problem with prebuilt systems, airflow is not well managed and they use cheap components, with those low class motherboard bios is locked and you cant change any of the voltage values, make sure thats not the case, put tour hand close to fan while running and feel the air and that should help you find out if fans are mounted wrong, if you have fan on cpu thats parallel to motherboard its a stock fan and doesnt cool well and u have replace with a better vertical mounted cpu heatsink and fan, evo 212 is the best and cheapest for better cpu cooling and you also need to have 1 or 2 fans at front lower part to bring in cool air to feed gpu and cpu cooler and 1 or 2 exhaust fans up top to remove hot air and create overall better airflow, watch youtube videos on how to install cpu cooler and its not that hard, good luck.

I will admit I am a bit scared of opening up the pc but if it has to be done i'll do it how many degrees do you think will drop if I were to install a better heatsink or fan also how many fans do you think would be needed to make it really cool and I would greatly appreciate it if you can suggest a guide or a video on the matter like i said I have no clue about pc parts thanks for your advice

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
I think the i5 2500 is bottlenecking the gpu.
Whats your cpu and gpu usage while playing games.
And i would suggest you to take it to a shop and get it fixed if you are scared to open your pc.

Mar 19, 2019
I think the i5 2500 is bottlenecking the gpu.
Whats your cpu and gpu usage while playing games.
And i would suggest you to take it to a shop and get it fixed if you are scared to open your pc.

yeah I think the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu a bit but I still get over 60 frames on high 1080p which is enough for me during gameplay there is no throttle but the pc does get hot as for usage I haven't checked that out but when I do what should I look for also the pc shops around here are kinda scuffed so I wouldn't trust them at all if my pc were to get fixed i'd preferred it to be by myself or the guy who made it

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
yeah I think the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu a bit but I still get over 60 frames on high 1080p which is enough for me during gameplay there is no throttle but the pc does get hot as for usage I haven't checked that out but when I do what should I look for also the pc shops around here are kinda scuffed so I wouldn't trust them at all if my were to get fixed i'd preferred it to be by myself or the guy who made it
I suggest you to upgrade the cpu and buy a new cabinet with pre installed fans.
Or maybe if your sticking to this cpu
Change your cabinet and try to use the evo 212 as the other member suggested.

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
yeah I think the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu a bit but I still get over 60 frames on high 1080p which is enough for me during gameplay there is no throttle but the pc does get hot as for usage I haven't checked that out but when I do what should I look for also the pc shops around here are kinda scuffed so I wouldn't trust them at all if my pc were to get fixed i'd preferred it to be by myself or the guy who made it
When you play a game, open your task manager and check the cpu and gpu usage, like on starting the game, while playing etc.

TRENDING THREADS