[SOLVED] PC gets ridiculously slow at times [SOLVED]

Mar 17, 2020
I'll try to explain what's going on to the best of my ability.

I had purchased a used computer 1 day ago and have noticed incredible drops in performance after some use.

First of all, let's get the specs out of the way:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.8Ghz
8gb DDR4 2933Mhz
1GB HDD
Rx 480
b350-f

As for the issues I'm concerned with, - let's begin by saying that the PC performs flawlessly upon boot both in and outside of gaming. There is no stuttering, the FPS looks great in games, yet whenever I try to multitask, it all goes downhill.

Let me give you an example. I will boot up my PC, surf around the net, play a game or two, none of which causes any issues. Yet all it takes is for me to alt tab from a game and the performance just shrinks.

Was playing some Starcraft 2 (on lowest settings) with a youtube vid running in the background a few hours ago, and as I went to alt tab from the game, the performance got horrible. To paint the picture: It would take up to 10 seconds to open a new tab in chrome. About 30 seconds to open a folder (lol).

The only fix to this is to kill most processes in task manager and give it a few minutes. The performance (usually) goes back to normal. Sometimes it doesn't and the PC needs a restart.

Just for the record. I did benchmark and stress test the rig properly, no issues with that.

Performance stays swift even after playing triple A titles on high settings, as long as I didn't alt tab that is.

I do know that upgrading my ram and getting an SSD will improve the performance drastically, yet what's going on is NOT normal even for my current setup.

Last edited:
Solution
Did you get new drivers when you reinstalled windows? The fix could be as simple as downloading the latest drivers for your GPU. If that doesn't work there are a few more things you can look at.

Especially since the computer is used, I wouldn't rule out bad/failing hardware. Notably the hard drive, or maybe even the RAM.

I'd run memtest and benchmark your hard drive. Additionally, check your temperatures to rule out overheating issues (unlikely tho)

It could also potentially be a bad windows install. Double check to make sure you have 64 bit windows as well.
None of what you mentioned was an issue. Apparently it was related to cpu and ram voltages. Set everything to default, OC'ed the CPU and memory and everything's fine. Ran...

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016
Windows was reinstalled as soon as I got the pc running. Not the issue sadly.

Did you get new drivers when you reinstalled windows? The fix could be as simple as downloading the latest drivers for your GPU. If that doesn't work there are a few more things you can look at.

Especially since the computer is used, I wouldn't rule out bad/failing hardware. Notably the hard drive, or maybe even the RAM.

I'd run memtest and benchmark your hard drive. Additionally, check your temperatures to rule out overheating issues (unlikely tho)

It could also potentially be a bad windows install. Double check to make sure you have 64 bit windows as well.

Reactions: Anszei

ankit213506

Great
Feb 24, 2020
AMD is a good processing Chip.
You should check your Local C drive if that is getting full or not.
You should also check your TMP files, if this is getting huge then delete that all by opening TMP folders (for opening that folder type %tmp% in your windows start menu search & you will get that folder)

Mar 17, 2020

None of what you mentioned was an issue. Apparently it was related to cpu and ram voltages. Set everything to default, OC'ed the CPU and memory and everything's fine. Ran a 1080p60fps stream of doom on ultra settings with a rendering video in the background. Runs smooth as a butter multitasking things now. Thanks for the help.

Solution