[SOLVED] PC gets stuck at windows splash screen

Dec 22, 2019
Hey! I have been troubleshooting my newly built PC (Used) and everything is working exactly as it should... BUT sometimes or at least 1 out of 3 times when I start my PC it gets stuck at the windows logo. It doesn't even show the wheel thingy spin down there. It just shows up with only the windows splash screen and nothing more and I am getting really frustrated cause it feels like I have done everything. I have reinstalled the PC, I have switched SATA cables and switched SATA ports on the motherboard as well to try but no luck there either. Updated the BIOS too and nothing there either. The weird thing is that if click the reset button after I get this windows logo. It will guarantee to start the pc to windows. I have no ideas left why it does this. Can't figure it out and I am furious that I can't find the problem. I have a picture here that shows how it looks, and i just stays like that.

Specs:
Asus M5A78L LE
AMD FX-6100
Nvidia GTX 760
8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Corsair VS550
240gb Kingston SSD - Windows drive
1TB Western Digital Blue
Windows 10 Home - Activated

Help is appreciated!

1. Disconnect the 1TB WD HDD, then boot the PC to see what happens? It the PC will not boot. Go to next.
  2. Remove the 8GB RAM, and HDD, and the SSD. Clear the CMOS. After that, boot the PC, keep in mind the PC will not boot into window, but you will get no RAM and no boot device errors, if the CPU/MB work.

Dec 22, 2019
  1. Disconnect the 1TB WD HDD, then boot the PC to see what happens? It the PC will not boot. Go to next.
  2. Remove the 8GB RAM, and HDD, and the SSD. Clear the CMOS. After that, boot the PC, keep in mind the PC will not boot into window, but you will get no RAM and no boot device errors, if the CPU/MB work.
Okay, so I have tried everything now and nothing seems to fix it. But when I reset the overclock on the CPU (forgot to mention that) it suddenly doesn't do that anymore. I can have AMD Turbo Boost on but if I disable that and other stuff to manually overclock the CPU to maybe 3.9 or 4.2ghz then it begins to do this. As long as I don't touch that stuff then I will work fine. But the thing is that I really want to overclock the cpu since its quite old by today.

Dec 22, 2019
If you did not have the aftermarket cpu cooler, you should consider to buy one, like the one with 120mm fan.
Also read the oc guide too. https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-...iver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard.html
I had a BeQuiet aftermarket cooler on it so it should be fine! But I think I fixed it and how I did it is not sure. But for this PC at least, I will not try any further. I stopped at 3.9ghz but I could go 4.2ghz stable but yeah. Thanks for the help. But I will leave that PC as is now since it is for a friend of mine which wanted a good but cheap PC and I know that the 6100 isn't what you would call good but for the price point I had I would say its quite good. But yeah I managed to fix it. So it's fine now!

You did not say what you did, but the likely cause is Fast start up. When you shut down normally, Windows system files are saved in RAM, so when you boot again, everything is already loaded. The problem is sometimes when this occurs the data can become corrupted and your PC will not boot. OTOH, if you press restart, fast starup is by default disabled so the booting data is loaded from the hdd into memory; it takes a little longer, but it's less likely to be corrupted. If you want to risk it, you can disable fast startup so it will be less likely you will have this type of booting failure. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html