[SOLVED] PC getting BSOD on startup after adding RAM

Minecarrot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
Hi all,
I've just bought more RAM for my PC but as soon as I get to the windows login page I get a BSOD with varying error codes.

So previously I had 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 installed. I have now bought another of the exact same kit to add to my PC.

After trying to google the issue, supposedly most similar issues are caused by having different memory modules and/or them having different settings, or issues surrounding the motherboard.
I don't think it's a motherboard issue, however, I think most likely the settings are off between the two kits somehow even though they are the exact same spec. So if that is the issue I would need a hand making sure my settings are in order.

Some things to note that might be helpful are:
-I had changed some settings to do with DRAM frequency in the BIOS when I bought the original kit to try and maximise its performance: This caused no issues and CPU-Z was reporting the increased performance, however, I see that this might cause an issue between the new kit and the original.
-On power on I get a prompt reading that "new CPU or memory modules are detected" and I am given options between opening up BIOS for setup, or continuing with default settings. I'm not sure whether this is normal or an indicator of the present issue.
-I can send BSOD error codes if that would be at all helpful.
-As far as I can tell from the BIOS things look in order, though I am by no means an expert. The new RAM is recognised by the computer as I can see the new total of 32GB in the BIOS.
-With the added RAM installed I can not enter the PC at all. So I won't be able to run any tests with programs until that is possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
No guarantee mixed RAM works. Even if the two 2-sitck kits with all specs the same to the letter and even if they are bought the same day.

Sometimes tweaking voltage and timings might result in them working together but there's no guarantee there either.

One more thing is unless you're running a board/chipset capable of handling quad-channel memory mode (which I don't hink is the case, mmind you you didn't give system specs and we know nothing except two 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB) it's usually better to have 2 16GB to be able to use 32GB or RAM than to have 4 8GB sticks. Less strain on CPU memory controller and usually better and stable XMP and operation.

You can reset BIOS to defaults or disable XMP or whatever applies to RAM on...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No guarantee mixed RAM works. Even if the two 2-sitck kits with all specs the same to the letter and even if they are bought the same day.

Sometimes tweaking voltage and timings might result in them working together but there's no guarantee there either.

One more thing is unless you're running a board/chipset capable of handling quad-channel memory mode (which I don't hink is the case, mmind you you didn't give system specs and we know nothing except two 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB) it's usually better to have 2 16GB to be able to use 32GB or RAM than to have 4 8GB sticks. Less strain on CPU memory controller and usually better and stable XMP and operation.

You can reset BIOS to defaults or disable XMP or whatever applies to RAM on your board and see if they run at default. Then increase clock in steps to see what is the last working setting. Others might have some method to check if they'd start working at default on how to tweak settings and possibly getting them to get along.

If the BSODs dropped any minidumps (*.dmp files) you can upload them somewhere and link here we can check them.

I personally would return these and sell the original and buy a 2 x 16GB sticks that come together as a KIT, put in same box by the manufacturer.

Solution

Minecarrot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015

You can reset BIOS to defaults or disable XMP or whatever applies to RAM on your board and see if they run at default. Then increase clock in steps to see what is the last working setting. Others might have some method to check if they'd start working at default on how to tweak settings and possibly getting them to get along.

If the BSODs dropped any minidumps (*.dmp files) you can upload them somewhere and link here we can check them.

I personally would return these and sell the original and buy a 2 x 16GB sticks that come together as a KIT, put in same box by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the reply. Only reason I am attempting to run quad-channel is that I already had the other RAM, of course, didn't know it could be so tricky.

After a google it seems my motherboard doesn't support quad-channel, so I'll likely be returning it as you suggested. If I can :(
Side question, why would a motherboard without quad-channel support even have 4 slots?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply. Only reason I am attempting to run quad-channel is that I already had the other RAM, of course, didn't know it could be so tricky.

After a google it seems my motherboard doesn't support quad-channel, so I'll likely be returning it as you suggested. If I can :(
Side question, why would a motherboard without quad-channel support even have 4 slots?
Because if you need it more RAM is better. Some would be OK with a 2 x 8GB kit and that'd be fine for their use. Some would want the maximum the CPU controller and the board can handle because they do work that require more RAM, running some RAM-intensive applications at the same time etc.

The 4 slots would work as dual channels 2 by 2 but that'd actually put a little pressure on the memory controller inside the CPU and as a result the gains as far as latency and response time go might diminish a tiny bit. For gaming for example.

According to my experience if you need 32GB RAM it's usually better to get 2 x 16GBs than 4 x 8GBs and two 16GBs that came as a kit, not bought separately. It's a gamle, somtimes they work but IMO it's not worth the hassle.