[SOLVED] PC Getting Power But No Display

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Hey guys,

Earlier today the power seemed to have flickered and my PC lost display. I'm fairly confident that the power flickered because I believe the lights flickered and I saw the lights flicker again like 30 minutes later. Oddly though, my wife's PC did not lose power and neither did the modem and router.

Anyway... Now when I turn my PC on it seems to get power, but there is no display. All the lights and fans turn on. There is also a CPU "EZ Debug Light" on on the motherboard. It's also worth noting that my peripherals such as mouse and keyboard don't appear to be getting power.

Any thoughts on where I should go with this?

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Performance Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Gaming Pro)
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: 980ti
PSU: thermaltake toughpower 1350W TP-1350AH3CCS
RAM: 2x Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT8G4DFS8213

Last edited:

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
-Monitor Flickered?
-Lost Display (did the PC also shutdown?)

Answer:
You might want to try reset the motherboard,the step is:
0.Remove Power Plug, make sure no any power source been flow into PC
1.remove all the RAM
2.remove the CMOS (Motherboard reset),than press start button 5 times without any power source
3.Put back the CMOS
4.Put back the RAM(put only 1 RAM to test out first)
5.Put back Power Plug and turn on
6.Hope for the best

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
So I woke up this morning and was about to try those steps, but for the moment it's working. Hopefully, it stays this way, but is there anything I should check on while it's running?

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Annnnd 25 mins later it's down again. Fans immediately slowed down and displays turned off but power is still going through it.

I was keeping an eye on temperatures and they didn't seem to be going high or anything.

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I can get it to turn back on again at the moment by just trying over and over again, but I imagine it's just going to go down again shortly. Any ideas on what to look for would be highly appreciated.

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
does it have any of this behavior "before the display gone":

1.BSOD
2.Screen Freeze
3.Just shutdown without Auto turn on back
4.Just Shutdown and itself turn on

Something i just notice:
1.Mouse and Keyboard appear not getting power(during window or bios?)

Answer:
right now i only have Suspicious on 2 thing:
1.Motherboard
2.PSU

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
does it have any of this behavior "before the display gone":

1.BSOD
2.Screen Freeze
3.Just shutdown without Auto turn on back
4.Just Shutdown and itself turn on

Something i just notice:
1.Mouse and Keyboard appear not getting power(during window or bios?)

Answer:
right now i only have Suspicious on 2 thing:
1.Motherboard
2.PSU

It only seems to ever "partially" shut down. It never seems to completely shut down. I lose display and peripherals but the fans and such always stay running. It hasn't been freezing or anything. I'm not sure what BSOD means though.

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I just reset the CMOS and after getting the graphics card back in and everything it started booting but after it got to the screen showing the motherboard info it totally shut down and restarted. It did not make it to the motherboard screen after that

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
Sound like there a hardware problem. The next suggestion will mean of to short out any unrelated "Core System" of your PC and Isolate the possible problem.

Warning:
From here onward this will be means of moving lot component and might confusing or creating more trouble,otherwise i be suggesting sending it too technician instead of risking by self-solving it.

The objective right now will be to try to get the PC able to "consistently showing info display for 30m", you will only need:
-CPU (the Model of this CPU contain Integrate Graphic Card)
-Motherboard (connect to Monitor via HDMI or DVI)
-RAM (only 1)
-PSU
If possible, try doing this on Cardboard or Motherboard Box instead Case. Otherwise you may try test out again via the case .

BSOD= BlueScreen

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Alright, I unplugged everything except the CPU, Motherboard, 1 RAM stick and the PSU. So far I am still receiving the same issue. It is not posting at all at the moment. Just fans spinning and the CPU light is still on.

By the way, thank you very much for your guidance so far!

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I tried to start it a bunch of times just for the sake of trying, and it actually just started. I am sitting on the BIOS at the moment. I'll let you know if it goes down again. It took many restarts to get to this point though.

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
After it was running for about 50 minutes I decided to shut down, plug in my ssd, and try to boot into Windows. Unfortunately I am currently struggling to get it to boot into Windows.

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Describe the problem, what kind of issue too access into window.

It is just doing the same as usual. When I turn on the power the fans will spin and the CPU light will come on, but there is no display and my peripherals aren't getting power.

Note: I haven't been able to get to the bios either after removing the SSD again.

Last edited: