[SOLVED] Pc giving artifacts at startup

Nov 21, 2019
Hello guys

A few months ago I made a pc.

Specs: - GigaByte RTX 2070
- Intel Core i5 9600k
- Asus ROG Strix z370-f gaming

I had some fun with it, but after a while the games started crashing and they would give artifacts. It would get even worse and give artifacts already at the startup. I searched a lot on the internet and tried it aswell. Nothing worked. I tried unplugging my gpu and putting my HDMI into my motherboard and the artifacts would go away so I was pretty sure it was the gpu that caused it. I had sent the gpu back to Gigabyte and they 'replaced' it. The same stuff happend again. Right now I'm waiting on the 4th 'new' gpu to arrive. I actually don't know what to do anymore. Because if I receive a 'new' card it will play games easily, but after a while my pc just crashes and gives artifacts. With every new card I tried to unplug it and put my HDMI into my motherboard and it always fixed it. But can the problem maybe caused by another part in my pc?
I don't know what to do anymore so I hope it will be fixed soon.

Thank you

Alec Lockhart

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
But don't you have to place it in the upper slot? Or doesn't that really matter?

Ideally, yes. Based on the motherboard, the second slot may be slower or the exact same speed. Check your manual and make sure there isn't a BIOS setting that will restrict performance.

If everything runs smoothly in the second slot, you have found your culprit.

Is your CPU overclocked at all? Overclocks can cause some odd issues.

Nov 21, 2019
Ideally, yes. Based on the motherboard, the second slot may be slower or the exact same speed. Check your manual and make sure there isn't a BIOS setting that will restrict performance.

Nope I didn't overclock my CPU

Nov 21, 2019

I just checked the manual and it says that the upper slot is an x16 and the second slot is an x8. But does it affect gaming performance when you put it in the second slot?

Alec Lockhart

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Nov 21, 2019
Hey man, I wanted to let you know that my pc is fixed. It was just the graphics card after all. I got a new card from the company, it's from EVGA and it works just perfect. Thank you for all the tips you gave me!