Question PC goes off after installing graphics card

Nov 27, 2020
I bought MSI VENTUS RTX 3070 3X OC 2 days back and tried installing it on my system. It started restarting again and again.. when opened, it doesn't recognise nvidia display. When I try to install driver from nvidia website, system shuts down during the installation process. Tried doing it after reinstalling the windows 10 OS. But no help.
Mother board is gigabyte aorus elite ac, with Intel i7 10700 k. SMPS is 850 watt.
Any solution?

I bought MSI VENTUS RTX 3070 3X OC 2 days back and tried installing it on my system. It started restarting again and again.. when opened, it doesn't recognise Nvidia display. When I try to install the driver from the Nvidia website, the system shuts down during the installation process. Tried doing it after reinstalling the windows 10 OS. But no help.
The motherboard is gigabyte aorus elite ac, with Intel i7 10700 k. SMPS is 850 watt.
Any solution?

So your old GPU works fine right in the system no crashes but when you throw the new one in it's kicks the bucket on you?

Most likely bad PSU, faulty GPU or your motherboard needs a BIOS update.

I'm thinking bad PSU, the wattage isn't always the be-all and ends all it's the components inside like the 12v rail and capacitors.

Too many times I've had a friend ask for help with a system powering down and it's usually the PSU as I'll run prime 95 and it'll just 'click' off. If you hear a 'click' it's a PSU saving itself from burning out.

Reactions: emilsisla
Nov 27, 2020
Wayfall, Thanks for the reply. I had given the Graphics card for replacement. I got it back saying the hardware is fine and they reflashed bios of GPU. The system worked fine when I installed it back. ... Until I tried to render in lumion. When graphic intensive tasks happened, system went off and restarted. I ran OCCT stress test and restart happened again. Fans slowing down/ going off before system goes off.
Temperature levels remained below 60 degree Celsius only. When I checked the voltage rails, the 12 v rail runs around 11v on a normal and it goes down to 9.8v when I GPU render or stress test, and the system goes off and restarts. Arrived that problem is with PSU. Isn't it? Just gave the PSU for replacement.

Nov 27, 2020
So your old GPU works fine right in the system no crashes but when you throw the new one in it's kicks the bucket on you?

Most likely bad PSU, faulty GPU or your motherboard needs a BIOS update.

I'm thinking bad PSU, the wattage isn't always the be-all and ends all it's the components inside like the 12v rail and capacitors.

Too many times I've had a friend ask for help with a system powering down and it's usually the PSU as I'll run prime 95 and it'll just 'click' off. If you hear a 'click' it's a PSU saving itself from burning out.
By the way, this is a fresh new system assembled and have not connected any GPU before.

InvalidError

Titan
Okay. The exact model is:
Cooler Master v850
RS-850-AFBA-G1
From what I could find, it appears this PSU model was launched back in 2013. There is a chance it may be struggling with modern components' huge load transients.

Also, the ATX2.3 specs requires that the 12V rail remains within 5%, so your PSU dipping to 11V or less under any circumstance is way out of spec.

Nov 27, 2020
From what I could find, it appears this PSU model was launched back in 2013. There is a chance it may be struggling with modern components' huge load transients.

Also, the ATX2.3 specs requires that the 12V rail remains within 5%, so your PSU dipping to 11V or less under any circumstance is way out of spec.
I sent PSU for replacement and it got replaced with a newer model - Cooler master MWE GOLD 850 V2 Power supply. Model: MPE-8501-AFAAG-IN.
After connecting the new one PC is not even starting. Mother board blinks, fans just start and then go off. Don't know what to do now!!!

InvalidError

Titan
Power shutting off almost immediately often means there is a short somewhere tripping over-current/power protections. Disconnect all non-essential stuff to reduce unknowns. Sometimes there are shorts from motherboard to case such as misplaced standoff or IO plate ground fingers sticking into a port, could try breadboarding the motherboard (remove from case, put it on an isolated surface such as the motherboard's box) to rule out any possible shorts to case.

It is also possible that your previous faulty PSU damaged something enough that the new PSU isn't putting up with it or that your replacement PSU is DOA. Without an oscilloscope or other equipment capable of monitoring what the PSU is doing on a per-microsecond basis, it is impossible to tell for certain.

Reactions: emilsisla
Nov 27, 2020
The issue was a silly!.. second cable from PSU to the MB was not connected! When connected it worked. But the GPU display was not getting detected when connected to PCIE 4 slot. It worked after removing the clip attached to the edge of the PCIE 4 slot. Now when checked the 12v rail, it is constant on 12.3v- thanks, it is within the 5% variation range. Thanks a lot to all who helped out !

TRENDING THREADS