PC goes straight to black and freazes

Oct 29, 2018
Hi, I built my PC on Sunday October 28th. It was working fine for an hour or two, then it started to freeze on the Windows loading screen and after a hard reset I would get a black screen for a couple of minutes then my desk top will load. I have a brand new z390-a Asus motherboard, I-5 9600 k, 2 860 250 GB ssds and one 4 TB Barracuda hard drive and and the OS is booting off of one of the 860 ssds. My brother and I cannot figure out why it keeps happening. We've updated everything. And when we run the windows Diagnostics it says that everything's A-OK. If someone can help that would be awesome thank you

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you using a discrete GPU or the one built into CPU?

latest bios on motherboard?

what are rest of specs? What PSU? what ram? etc.

tried running in safe mode?

is CPU overclocked? Asus boards can run CPU faster than intended so make sure its not running a mode that auto overclocks CPU

Oct 29, 2018

Oct 29, 2018
Yes to latest Bios, Ram is Vengance 16GB at 3200mhz. PSU is a 1000watt EVGA. We had a GeForce 680 connected. But after disconnecting it and using the built in graphics in the CPU it seemed to be doing okay. But still freezes after turning it on. And no over clock on anything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try testing the ram with memtest86, one ram stick at a time, up to 8 passes. It creates a bootable USB so no need for windows. Only error count you want is 0, any higher is likely cause of freezes. Ram with errors needs to be removed/replaced.

try running with just the boot ssd in, 1 ram stick and just the bare essentials, and see if it makes any difference. Less parts in the better, makes assigning blame easier. slow start up generally means PC is waiting for some hardware to answer before it can move on to next step