PC goes to BIOS every startup after power failure.

virusmrd

Honorable
Jul 25, 2018
Had a power outage today, computer lost power. When I restart now it ALWAYS goes into bios settings right away Instead of booting as ususal. The strange part is, the bios settings are intact, i reset them just in case anyway. All the components are registered, the disks are fine. If i manually override and boot from the windows 10 disk it starts up just fine. No issues otherwise (except that the date was crazy off when i restarted the first time). Not a huge problem but i cant seem to figure out why it no longer boots directly to the OS. I trolled around a bit and tried some of the common fixes like MBR repair, and using EasyBDC to attempt to fix it. Neither works thoe. Fast boot is disabled already.

Its a windows 10 Home
Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4Ghz
16GB Ram
Windows is on an SSD, other drives are just backups/media storage.

thoughts?

virusmrd

Honorable
Jul 25, 2018
Under boot option it says "UEFI and Legacy" there are also options for both UEFI only and Legacy Only

and the first boot device is correctly listed and the drive containing the windows OS

virusmrd

Honorable
Jul 25, 2018
it may be worth mentioning the other drives are not SSD, but they have all worked fine in this configuration up till now

i also tried a rollback on the drive using a macrium image from the day before, specifically making sure it restored the MBR of the disk in question as well

usually:
You have to go to BIOS every power failure because the BIOS settings are all empty?
Is it possible that BIOS battery is already empty.

your case:
Your PC goes to BIOS after power failure and the BIOS settings are all "intact"?
hmmm...I would still replace the battery and/or reset the BIOS and do the settings all over again..
and..I would also check your boot HDD/SSD for damages due to power loss.
I had a similar problem few years back. My Q6600 PC went always to BIOS but the BIOS settings are all intact. I just did what I wrote and it went back to normal.
Luckily, the HDD was OK.
Perhaps, this can solve your problem too.

virusmrd

Honorable
Jul 25, 2018
sorry to be clear when i turned the system back on it appeared all the settings were intact still but the system went to bios instead of booting. The first thing i did was unplug it a few minutes, pop the cmos battery, tried to turn it on again, let it sit a few more minutes put the battery back in and fired it back up, still went directly to the bios. But i'm about to head to bed so ill give it an overnight and see what happens.

virusmrd

Honorable
Jul 25, 2018
Nope did not fix the problem. It did reset the cmos and i had to load defaults on restart, it did try to go directly to windows this time after reloading, but failed to load due to the defaults not being AHCI mode for the SSD. Once i changed it back to AHCI mode the OS loads just fine, but will not do so without being told to load from the boot override options within the bios settings

i performed a disk check, no errors were fond on any of the drives. These seems to be no performance issues or anything with the system other then it wont boot directly to OS anymore