Question PC goes to black screen and reboots on random moments...

Oct 11, 2021
Hi everyone

I'm a first timer in building a workstation. I built a pc with the following hardware:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16- Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB(2x32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
PSU: CORSAIR RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Update: All parts are new and bought through Amazon, NewEgg and MemoryC

Throughout the process I followed multiple guides and asked friends who've built their desktops before for help. Everything went smoothly and no issues showed up in the first couple of weeks. I've also updated my BIOS to solve the possible compatibility issue with my CPU.

Now, since approximately a month ago, the desktop started having this issue where it would just shut off at random moments (mostly during low intensity) in which my screen would all of a sudden go black and reboot instantly. All the RGB lights of my components were still on as well as the power button light. So it kind of seemed it didn't actually shut off...

Some of the things I was doing when it dropped are the following:
  1. Basic Photoshoping (photobashing, nothing too heavy)
  2. Just having Photoshop open together with Chrome and Zoom
  3. Modelling in Autodesk Maya (only some texturing on spheres and cubes)
  4. During an install of VRay without any other software opened up...
I've been reading and hearing that it's most likely a hardware issue and probably PSU related. I've done multiple stress tests already to check what piece of hardware could cause the problem with no success. I ran MemTestx86 to check my RAM and it gave no errors at all, also stress testing my CPU with AIDA didn't show any problems (Max Temp of 87 C over a hour and a half of running). Apart from that I also put the PSU on a watt meter and it mostly stayed in-between 200 W and 375 W, so it didn't seem like the PSU was the issue. Of course it didn't reboot while I was doing these tests but nevertheless those are some of the results I can share to give some more information

Apart from that I noticed that sometimes some actions would lag a bit such as closing a software, people talking on zoom or switching tabs on chrome.

Did anyone else have this issue as well? Or does anyone know about a possible solution for this? I've tried as much as I could and I don't have any spare parts to replace them and figure out the problem... All help or information is more than welcome. I need this workstation for my education and workshops will get more intensive so I'd like to figure this out and fix it as soon as possible.

If any other information should be needed, be sure to let me know. As I said before I'm kind of a beginner in all this stuff, so I apologize if anything's missing!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: