Question PC goes to blackscreen with fans spinning fast

Jun 2, 2021
Im not sure if its my cpu or my gpu but my montor went black screen and when i woke up i heard my fans spinning insanely fast, it doesnt let me do anything i have to physically hold the power button to restart.
Some of my specs >
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU GTX 1660 Original not super
MSI B350 Motherboard
16gb DDR4 Ram 3200mhz

This happened before so i reset my whole pc and it was fine for a bit. but now idk how to fix this?

Jun 2, 2021
What model power supply and how old?

" i have to physically hold the power button to restart. "

How does it run when it restarts?
it runs fine after resetarting. psu is 650w corsair

Corsair RMX Series (2018), RM650x, 650 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

specify on this??
It's nice to have something a little more repeatable to go on.

One option would be to wait and see if you notice something that coincides with when it happens.

The other option would be to try some things now.

Thing you could try now are...

Powering down and reseating all your connectors and cards and RAM and trying it.

You could also swap in another PSU or GPU and try it.

If you are running on 2 sticks or more of memory...you could try one stick...and then rotate the sticks through.

...but as I said earlier...if something external caused it....like a load slump on the supply side....your PC might be fine.

What I mean by "load slump on the supply side" is....I've seen PCs do exactly what yours did when something like a sump pump was turned on that happened to be on the same circuit which caused the voltage to drop and the PC to crash.

Jun 2, 2021
It's nice to have something a little more repeatable to go on.

One option would be to wait and see if you notice something that coincides with when it happens.

The other option would be to try some things now.

Thing you could try now are...

Powering down and reseating all your connectors and cards and RAM and trying it.

You could also swap in another PSU or GPU and try it.

If you are running on 2 sticks or more of memory...you could try one stick...and then rotate the sticks through.

...but as I said earlier...if something external caused it....like a load slump on the supply side....your PC might be fine.

What I mean by "load slump on the supply side" is....I've seen PCs do exactly what yours did when something like a sump pump was turned on that happened to be on the same circuit which caused the voltage to drop and the PC to crash.
oh ok. yeah it doesnt happen really often. i may try reseating the ram

Jun 2, 2021
I checked reliability history and see the dwm.exe has stopped working. which is the desktop window manager. im still trying tom find out why it crashes