[SOLVED] PC going crazy after maybe 5 minutes of high load on new GPU (RTX 2070)

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014
Okay, so this is baffling...
I got a new GPU. The RTX 2070. Everything seemed fine, only after trying to game on it for maybe 5 minutes if that all my monitors went dark and all the fans in my PC started going crazy. I swear I've never heard my PC make such a noise. Just before it takes flight from all the fans spinning so fast, the whole thing shuts down.

Everything was fine before installing the new GPU...

The rest of my system:
MB: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING
CPU: i7-8700K + Corsair Hydro H100i v2
RAM: 16GB (2x8G) Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 2666MHz CL16 1.2V
2 Samsung EVO SSDs (840 and 850)
1Tb HDD
PSU: Seasonic 650W FOCUS+ Platinum

I've now tested twice with Killing Floor 2, once with Furmark and once with UNIGINE Heaven.
On KF2 it happened both times. First time caught me off guard second time I was monitoring stuff.
Usage was normal, temps were 69-70C and had been around there for a while when it happened.
Same story with Heaven. Weirdly enough it didn't happen with Furmark, but that might have been because I didn't test it for that long. I'll probably do a longer test with that to see if it happens with that or not.

I also considered that since it didn't happen on furmark, which is not a CPU heavy program, maybe there was something weird going on with my CPU instead.
Only, the CPU usage was barely like 50% and temps like 40-50C (I think?) when it happened, so at least that seems normal too.

I'm going to try doing a clean install of my GPU drivers now. Then I'll run Furmark and then Heaven for a longer period.
If it's still happening I'm going to try swapping back to my old GPU (GTX 1060) to try and confirm that it's not happening with that.

Anyways, any ideas what this could be?
The GPU could just be defective I guess...
Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
OH MY GOD IM A F*CKING MORON
Gdb70Md.jpg

In my defense, I'm absolutely sure I plugged it in properly.
It must have somehow come loose when I pressed on the cables to flatten them down a bit before putting on the sidepanel.
Though I really should have noticed.

Anyways seems to be working fine NOW THAT IT'S ACTUALLY PLUGGED IN.
LOL

...let's not talk about this ever, please? :D

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014

Damn, I was just beginning to hope I had it fixed...

I ran DDU to uninstall my GPU drivers. Re-installed them. Then underclocked it 100mhz.
I then ran Heaven. No problems.
I put the GPU back to stock clocks and ran Heaven again. Still, no problems.
That's when I was starting to cautiously hope it was a driver issue that fixed itself with the re-install...
I finally tried Killing Floor 2 again...
...aaaaand the crash happened again after about 5min.
Again, temps were normal at around 70C.

I'm really hoping someone has ideas about this, but in the meantime, I guess I'm going back to my GTX 1060 to confirm that things are still working fine with it.

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014
OH MY GOD IM A F*CKING MORON
Gdb70Md.jpg

In my defense, I'm absolutely sure I plugged it in properly.
It must have somehow come loose when I pressed on the cables to flatten them down a bit before putting on the sidepanel.
Though I really should have noticed.

Anyways seems to be working fine NOW THAT IT'S ACTUALLY PLUGGED IN.
LOL

...let's not talk about this ever, please? :D

Solution