PC Going to a black screen every few seconds

rafovafo

Honorable
Sep 16, 2017
For a couple of months now my PC kept going into a black screen for a second or so which would freeze the PC while in the Windows log in section where you log into your preferred account. It would also refresh the log in making it impossible for me to actually get into my PC. The way I worked around this is by going into the BIOS and exiting it, but I don't want to be bothered with it.
My OS is Windows 10 Pro. Is there any fix?

Here are some my PC specs if needed: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 Motherboard
nVidia GTX 1060 GB GPU
AMD FX 6300 CPU
8GB of DDR3 RAM

Solution
Try replacing the CMOS battery. Sounds like the system is losing it's settings due to a bad battery, and going into the bios refreshes the boot partition tables.

As old as that system is, that wouldn't be surprising. CMOS battery lasting more than five years is a pretty good haul.

That might NOT be the issue, but that is certainly where I'd start. You can pick up a new battery at practically any place that sells computer hardware or has a large selection of batteries.

The next thing I'd do is make sure you have the latest bios installed. You could be having issues due to a very new GPU card being in use with old bios version that doesn't support it well.

If that doesn't help, I'd consider doing a clean install of Windows before...
Try replacing the CMOS battery. Sounds like the system is losing it's settings due to a bad battery, and going into the bios refreshes the boot partition tables.

As old as that system is, that wouldn't be surprising. CMOS battery lasting more than five years is a pretty good haul.

That might NOT be the issue, but that is certainly where I'd start. You can pick up a new battery at practically any place that sells computer hardware or has a large selection of batteries.

The next thing I'd do is make sure you have the latest bios installed. You could be having issues due to a very new GPU card being in use with old bios version that doesn't support it well.

If that doesn't help, I'd consider doing a clean install of Windows before looking any further at hardware.

Solution