PC gone kaput... i think

g3m8a11a

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
need a little help here.
last night my pc was functioning perfectly however i accidentally shut off the pc while windows was updating the pc during shutdown.
Today morning when i tried to boot, it failed.
After switching on the PC, all the fans start running but after a single beep, the green light glows continuously and then after sometime simply shuts down and then reboots but then again the same thing happens. This is occuring continuously. I have observed the following things:

1. The display starts up then goes off saying 'no signal'
2. During boot, the red HDD light blinks once and then doesnt glow even once after that
3. Nothing appears on the screen but the PC keeps trying to reboot itself after 30 secs approx.
4. I am unable to see a POST screen or access the BIOS
5. When i touched the HDD, it felt quite warm but dint feel like it was spinning
6. 4 POST lights on the MoBo light up but nothing happens after that.

I have tried the following things:

1. Tried Hard reboot (failed)
2. Opened and reseated the HDD wiring and cables, the graphics card, and alternated between the RAM modules (failed)
3. Pulled out the CMOS battery and then Reset it. (failed)

Even after all these attempts the same sequence occurs.
Please someone help me as i have my project files on my PC and i am unable to work as my laptop is out for repair as well
If possibe i would be happy to add a video

Solution
Do you have another videocard handy ? Try swapping the video card you have with another one. Try booting with only the Board+Ram+CPU+Video Card (of course PSU), all other installed devices are unplugged (both power and signal).

If you have tried swapping the Video card and the above, and this still occurs, you MAY have to RMA your board.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
If you can't see the POST screen, then it maybe outside of windows. Try unplugging the hard drive you boot from, and then boot. If you see a post screen and then the BIOS complaining that it can't find a boot drive, try plugging back the drive, and see if you can or not see the POST screen.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The OP apparently can not see the POST screen and can't access the BIOS menu.

g3m8a11a

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
thank you for all your replies...

exactly as maxx power said, i cant even get to the POST screen. there is absolutely nothing on my screen. The monitor only has an amber light glowing at the bottom as it does in standby. All the PC and case fans spin up and 4 small lights on the top right corner of my mobo light up. i think its supposed to do that but then nothing happens, the pc just tries to reboot automatically but it loops back to the same point over and over again. again i want to point out that i do not feel the HDD is spinning but it does get pretty warm after a few seconds and the 'red' light that supposed to blink to indicate HDD usage does not do so (only a constant green light can be seen on the front panel of my PC case)

i will try to remove my HDD and try again

any other possible solutions, i really donw want to RMA my mobo unless i am certain that there is something wrong with it

My PC specs:
CPU : INTEL CORE i5 750 2.66 Ghz
MoBo : GIGABYTE H55m USB3 (V1.0)
RAM : CORSAIR 4x2 GB 1333 Mhz
HDD : WD CAVIAR BLUE 500 GB
GFX : GALAXY GTX 460 OC
DISPLAY : VIEWSONIC VA926 (19")
DVD DRIVE : SONY DRU 820A
OTHER PERIPHERALS : LOGITECH WIRELESS KB+MOUSE COMBO (MK 320)
ALTEC LANSING 121 SPEAKER SET
SEAGATE 1 TB EXTERNAL DRIVE

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Do you have another videocard handy ? Try swapping the video card you have with another one. Try booting with only the Board+Ram+CPU+Video Card (of course PSU), all other installed devices are unplugged (both power and signal).

If you have tried swapping the Video card and the above, and this still occurs, you MAY have to RMA your board.

Solution

g3m8a11a

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

okay i will try that, i dont have another card with me but it shud work fine if i plug the monitor into the Mobo's VGA port right?
thanks!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

g3m8a11a

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

g3m8a11a

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

well it turns out my Mobo was fried, had to send it for repair. out of warranty though...
thanks for your help man.
any idea, which mobo can i buy for my intel i5 750 (LGA 1155)?, i seriously not go for a complete upgrade right now so just a mobo wud be good

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well, you want LGA 1156, not LGA 1155. The 1155 is for the current generation COre i-something_or_other.

Try to see if online retailers still have any 1156 boards around, most should be gone by now. I think if you absolutely have to stick to your current CPU, you can't be choosey, because it is an old platform now, and no one is expected to stock motherboards.

Try www.ncix.com
www.directcanada.com (related company)
and if you are in Canada, try www.canadacomputers.com
and
www.tigerdirect.com

If you can't find something suitable, my suggestion would be to sell the CPU and upgrade, you can recycle your old RAM, HDD, Case, etc.....

g3m8a11a

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

thanks i actually live in India and thankfully there are a couple of stores still stocking P55 boards so will try that IF repair doesnt work

TRENDING THREADS