News PC GPU Shipments Drop 35% Year-over-Year in Q4 2022: Report

So shipped units went down because current card models were EOL. Yet totals sold went up slightly sequentially because people were buying up cheap-er GPUs before supply dried up. Yet at overall sales are down significantly year over year.

Hmmm cheap GPU prices mean more units sell through. And AMDs and NVIDIAs quarterly report wasn't bad. Yet abysmally expensive 4080 and 7900XT are barely moving inventory. Let me summarize that for the AMD and NVIDIA marketing people here.: "Reasonable prices lead to greater sales to offset margin loss."

$750 high end GPUs need to make a comeback if they want to admit it or not. The BOM on memory GPU chipset for a 4090 is about $450

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
No one is buying GPUs because the prices are just too damn high. That's just it. The manufacturers are charging what consumers are not willing to play, especially when they can get em for less than half price on the second hand market. And that's exactly it. No one is going to buy GPUs again until the prices drop. $2000 for an RTX 4090. You can get a respectable point A to point B commuter car for that price. It's ridiculous. At some point, these companies have to figure out that if you set the prices too high, people stop buying. That's just it

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
I expect the collapse of crypto mining also had an impact along with the world wide economic recession that has begun. Not many consumers R willing or able to shell out $2K for a GPU card.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
No surprise as prices for the latest AMD GPU's have already seen discounts on Amazon. The 7900 XT is $100 less than MSRP
not where i am, 4080 and 4090, still 500-1000 too much, if not more, 7900 xt/xtx, 400-800 too much, if not more as well. prices have barely dropped at all on those cards, even the rtx 30 series is at least 500 too much in some cases.

InvalidError

Titan
As i've been saying ever since PC parts manufacturers started reporting massive declines post-COVID: the market won't be returning to normal until the people who did out-of-cycle upgrades during COVID are ready to upgrade again, which is going to take 5-7 years. Manufacturers had better wake up because they still have at least three more years of this to go through unless they lower their prices so much that people get the itch to upgrade again early.

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
No one is buying GPUs because the prices are just too damn high. That's just it. The manufacturers are charging what consumers are not willing to play, especially when they can get em for less than half price on the second hand market. And that's exactly it. No one is going to buy GPUs again until the prices drop. $2000 for an RTX 4090. You can get a respectable point A to point B commuter car for that price. It's ridiculous. At some point, these companies have to figure out that if you set the prices too high, people stop buying. That's just it
This reminds me of a video that LinusTechTips did. "What? The most popular motherboard is a $100 one? The average gamer doesn't want to pay $500 for a motherboard?!"

Every review site seems to review only $200-500 ones

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
This reminds me of a video that LinusTechTips did. "What? The most popular motherboard is a $100 one? The average gamer doesn't want to pay $500 for a motherboard?!"

Every review site seems to review only $200-500 ones
IIRC, the RTX 3060 is the most popular GPU on Steam. If 1080P @60 FPS with high settings is the target then this card is a good match.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I have the feeling that the ones buying mid-tier GPUs are waiting for another round of price drops if they have a working GPU
Yep.

So long as GPU's cost more than the entire rest of the machine, it's going to stay that way.

Even if you're currently using a potato with a graphics port for a GPU, you are better off waiting for the insanity to end than going into this insane market IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS