Question PC gradually freezing but mouse still moves, requiring hard shutdown ?

LockHazer

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
Hey guys I've had this weird issue with my PC when it will randomly start locking up and eventually fully freeze requiring a forced shutdown. It could occur when I am just browsing the web and I will notice that I cannot click on another tab. My mouse can still move and everything but the application is not accessible. I could then alt tab to a word document, bringing this ontop of the browser and scroll through it fine until inputting or clicking cause that to lock up. When on a discord call I can even hear the audio from people still coming in at real time but I cannot talk back at all. Eventually via trying to interact with everything and getting stuck on CTRL ALT DEL etc the system will be fully frozen, requiring a hard shutdown by holding down the power button.

The strange things to me is that A) I can still move my mouse freely whilst it is freezing and B) that it is a gradual freeze and not an entire lockup of the system.

One of the strangest ones happened just now when clicking forward in a youtube video only to have the PC slowly lockup all the while the youtube buffering circle is spinning away happily. It just makes no sense to me.

Sometimes the audio that is playing starts looping during the initial freeze.

I don't get any BSODs or error codes even after leaving it for an hour or so.

Pressing Caps and Numlock make the indicator lights turn on but pressing CTRL SHIFT WINDOWS B to reset the Graphics driver does nothing.

What I have tried:
  • BIOS update
  • GPU DDU driver uninstall and reinstall
  • Chipset driver update
  • Windows updates
  • Disabled XMP (This seemed to work for a little bit but came back)
  • Ran Memtest twice for a total of 8 passes with 0 errors so the RAM seems to be eliminated
  • Tried to update firmware of C drive SSD but was already updated. The SSD is my main suspect just from what I have read online
  • Tried not using wallpaper engine in the background but made no difference
  • Checked event viewer for any errors but all that is there is the error for unexpected shutdowns due to the forced power down
My Specs:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450 Carbon mobo
  • Asus STRIX 2070 Super
  • G.SKILL Sniper X 2x8GB 3200mhz CL16
  • Crucial P1 NVME 1TB ssd (This is where Windows is installed and is only about 2% into it's endurance rating of 200TB)
  • Corsair RM650x PSU
  • Running Windows 10 Home 20H2 build 19042.746
Any help would be really appreciated as this is leaving me with lost work some times!
Thank you!

Pigus

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
Hey guys I've had this weird issue with my PC when it will randomly start locking up and eventually fully freeze requiring a forced shutdown. It could occur when I am just browsing the web and I will notice that I cannot click on another tab. My mouse can still move and everything but the application is not accessible. I could then alt tab to a word document, bringing this ontop of the browser and scroll through it fine until inputting or clicking cause that to lock up. When on a discord call I can even hear the audio from people still coming in at real time but I cannot talk back at all. Eventually via trying to interact with everything and getting stuck on CTRL ALT DEL etc the system will be fully frozen, requiring a hard shutdown by holding down the power button.

The strange things to me is that A) I can still move my mouse freely whilst it is freezing and B) that it is a gradual freeze and not an entire lockup of the system.

One of the strangest ones happened just now when clicking forward in a youtube video only to have the PC slowly lockup all the while the youtube buffering circle is spinning away happily. It just makes no sense to me.

Sometimes the audio that is playing starts looping during the initial freeze.

I don't get any BSODs or error codes even after leaving it for an hour or so.

Pressing Caps and Numlock make the indicator lights turn on but pressing CTRL SHIFT WINDOWS B to reset the Graphics driver does nothing.

What I have tried:
  • BIOS update
  • GPU DDU driver uninstall and reinstall
  • Chipset driver update
  • Windows updates
  • Disabled XMP (This seemed to work for a little bit but came back)
  • Ran Memtest twice for a total of 8 passes with 0 errors so the RAM seems to be eliminated
  • Tried to update firmware of C drive SSD but was already updated. The SSD is my main suspect just from what I have read online
  • Tried not using wallpaper engine in the background but made no difference
  • Checked event viewer for any errors but all that is there is the error for unexpected shutdowns due to the forced power down
My Specs:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450 Carbon mobo
  • Asus STRIX 2070 Super
  • G.SKILL Sniper X 2x8GB 3200mhz CL16
  • Crucial P1 NVME 1TB ssd (This is where Windows is installed and is only about 2% into it's endurance rating of 200TB)
  • Corsair RM650x PSU
  • Running Windows 10 Home 20H2 build 19042.746
Any help would be really appreciated as this is leaving me with lost work some times!
Thank you!

Have you found a solution? I also have the same problem on my system, Ryzen 7 5800x. It is working fine last January 2021 when I first built it. Happened happened at least 5 times since February.
I recorded a video, is it the same as yours? Link

ASK THE COMMUNITY