[SOLVED] PC gradually slowing down what can I do to keep it going until I upgrade?

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
Ok so my PC is gradually slowing down and has been for years. Currently while playing world of warcraft from my main hard drive which is an SSD on the lowest settings I am sitting at 2-25 FPS(frames per second). Opening programs and even folders takes 2-10 seconds even after a system reset wiping all data from the ssd .( I do have 3 secondary hard drives that are 90% full each with 500g space).

I had planned to purchase parts to build a new PC but got advice to wait until october/november for better deals/better hardware. My current PC is 12 years old.
My current PC specs:
Alienware: Area 51 (2008)
12 year old pc
Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67 GHz
RAM: 18 GB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

I plan to spend 2-3,000$ on parts to build it myself and currently have an idea on what to get on pcpartpicker.

Is it worth waiting a few months or should I just upgrade now?

Solution
I noticed that over the years and the numerous bi-annual major updates, Windows 10 has become more and more demanding on the hardware. This won't be noticeable on high-end more recent hardware, but on lower-end or much older systems it can be quite significant, mainly starting from the Creator Update onward.
I have seen that on several older systems already, and I have a laptop with a CPU different but quite comparable to your i7-920 and I can tell you that it really starts to struggle right now with the latest version of Windows 10. Still usable, but definitely not as snappy as it used to be despite being also on a SSD and 8 GIGS of RAM. It's all about the CPU.
I don't think there is much you can do right now. Your computer is just...

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I noticed that over the years and the numerous bi-annual major updates, Windows 10 has become more and more demanding on the hardware. This won't be noticeable on high-end more recent hardware, but on lower-end or much older systems it can be quite significant, mainly starting from the Creator Update onward.
I have seen that on several older systems already, and I have a laptop with a CPU different but quite comparable to your i7-920 and I can tell you that it really starts to struggle right now with the latest version of Windows 10. Still usable, but definitely not as snappy as it used to be despite being also on a SSD and 8 GIGS of RAM. It's all about the CPU.
I don't think there is much you can do right now. Your computer is just getting more obsolete by the years.

Solution

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
I don't think there is much you can do right now. Your computer is just getting more obsolete by the years.
that is what i was thinking. I noticed a speed drop after the last batch of updates.

maybe i should just purchase the parts for a new PC now instead of waiting a few months (people saying discounts/new hardware) so I can have it ready before november.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
That what I believe too. Considering that you've been able to use your computer for over 12 years, going for a good new one now, should be good to serve you well for another decade, and waiting six month won't change anything to that (except maybe giving you more time to put money aside if your budget is a little tight right now!)