[SOLVED] PC Graphics feel slow

Thomas_Alex

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Hey,

This is the 3rd post of me these days as I'm getting more and more frustrated with my computer. Two weeks ago I've decided to upgrade a few parts of my PC, but problems kept coming up. So, I ended up upgrading everything. The problem is that after all these upgrades, my PC performs worse than the older computer I had! The main issue is the pretty much awful graphics performance. I've just installed the rx 5700 xt and the system feels like it's running on CPU graphics. To give you an idea, the windows that appear after hoovering my mouse over the open tabs on the taskbar, look like they run on 20 fps (I am talking about the animations of those windows appearing and disappearing). I have the latest drivers for the card.

Specs:
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Box
  • MOTHERBOARD - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • RAM - G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB), Placed on slots DIMMA2 & DIMMB2 (that's the recommended position)
  • GPU - Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Nitro+
  • SSD - Samsung 970 Evo plus M.2 500GB NVMe ( MZ-V7S500BW)
  • CPU COOLER - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo (with a second corsair fan Installed on the heatsink)
  • PSU - Bequiet! Pure Power 11 600W
  • HDD 1 - WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class
  • HDD 2 - WD model from 2000s 160 GB
  • KEYBOARD - Microsoft Basic Keyboard 1.0A
  • MOUSE - Razer Deathadder Elite
  • EXTENAL SOUND CARD - M Audio M-TRACK PLUS
  • CASE - Corsair Carbide Series™ 300R
  • DISPLAY - Asus VG248QE
I've spent more than 1100 euros and it seems like I'm not done with spending yet. Please, help me figure out what's wrong.

Solution
UPDATE

I solved it. It was a Windows 10 problem. For some weird reason, Windows decided to automatically downgrade the image by setting the Screen Refresh Rate to 59 Hz.

Here's the solution:

Desktop -> Right click -> Select Display Settings -> Scroll down and Select Advanced display settings -> Select Display adapter properties for Display 1 (the number depends on how many monitors you've got) -> From the popup, Select List all modes -> Select your desired setting (in my case 1920 by 1080, true color (32 bit), 144 Hertz) and click Ok -> Move to tab " Monitor " and change the screen refresh rate to the refresh rate you've chosen before (in my case 144 Hertz) and click Ok-> Done!

After taking a closer look to the...

Thomas_Alex

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
did you do a fresh os install?
latest bios?
ram running a dual channel at 3200?
cpu/gpu temp and usage?

Hello rgd,

My computer has the latest BIOS (downloaded from MSI's website), and RAM is running a dual channel at 3200hz (after enabling the stock xmp profile on BIOS).

I did not do a fresh install but I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers, restarted and installed the AMD ones.

GPU and CPU usage is minimal; mostly single digit (I've even tested them on Novabench and the graphics were looking ok).
Temps never exceed 50 degrees Celsius. Most of the time they are close to 40.

Today I'll take it to a technician's store. I hope I'll have an answer soon. As for the previous GPU that I had, its VRAM sticks are the ones that are faulty. I'll post as soon as I have results.

Jun 1, 2020
Hello,
their are many reasons for slow Pc and you have to consider every one before check may be it is RAM or may be is hard disk or may be it is motherboard problem

Thomas_Alex

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Hello,
their are many reasons for slow Pc and you have to consider every one before check may be it is RAM or may be is hard disk or may be it is motherboard problem

Hey Maddy,

I was thinking the same. That's why I gave the pc to a technician to figure out what's wrong. But to be honest I don't have high hopes. When I'll have an update, I'll post it here.

Thanks for your reply though!

Thomas_Alex

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
UPDATE

I solved it. It was a Windows 10 problem. For some weird reason, Windows decided to automatically downgrade the image by setting the Screen Refresh Rate to 59 Hz.

Here's the solution:

Desktop -> Right click -> Select Display Settings -> Scroll down and Select Advanced display settings -> Select Display adapter properties for Display 1 (the number depends on how many monitors you've got) -> From the popup, Select List all modes -> Select your desired setting (in my case 1920 by 1080, true color (32 bit), 144 Hertz) and click Ok -> Move to tab " Monitor " and change the screen refresh rate to the refresh rate you've chosen before (in my case 144 Hertz) and click Ok-> Done!

After taking a closer look to the issues causing this problem, I suspect that this problem occurs because of the combination of a GSYNC monitor with an AMD GPU.

Anyway, I'm really relieved that this issue was finally solved but I'm also disappointed that a professional technician couldn't figure this out and instead insisted that the GPU was faulty.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out!

Last edited:
Solution