PC GRAPHICS

niallcameron

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
WHICH GRAPHICS CARD SHOULD I INSTALL ON MY PC A.M.D 9950 QUAD CORE 2.6GHZ 1TB HDD 8 GB DDR 2 RAM I HAVE AN ASROCK MOTHERBOARD WITH NVIDIA 8200 ONBOARD GRAPHICS RUNNING XP 64 SOON TO BE WINDOWS 7 64?

niallcameron

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
fallout 3, operation flashpoint 2 and possible conan. sorry for the caps lol. just got my pc and am all excited about getting it going well.

niallcameron

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Well at the minute i'm running a 500 watt PSU but would have to get back to you on what my system usage is just now. With the on board nvidia gpu it says something about physx and geforce turbo when you use a nvidia gpu paired with the 8200 on board graphics? Sorry if I'm not more specific but the last upgrade on a computer I did was on a windows 2000 pc adding a 32 mb ati gpu and soundblaster audio card. If it helps the system was made by palicomp and they were going on eBay for £300 with no os.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The geforce turbo mode won't help you for the graphics cards in your price range; its meant to give low end cards a little boost (but it will actually decrease performance of a higher end card). Your psu should be fine for a 4870, but about as high as you can go, power wise.

niallcameron

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
No. I'm not at home though to see the specs. I don't really know much about modern computers now they are getting so high spec. Is the one I have bought any good by today's standards. I'm really keen to put some SSDs in it once they get cheaper. My basic plan for it is to use it for 2-3 years for gaming and general use then once it's outdated buy a higher spec rig and use this one for data storage and possibly make it into a media hub connected to tv with movies and music stored on it. Thanks everyone for your input on this matter. I'd be keen to hear your suggestions for making this pc better or future proof to some degree .