Question PC Half-Freezing After Games/Benchmarks - Mouse/Keyboard Usable - Hard restart Needed

bbarrington42

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hey all!

This is an issue that has been plaguing me for two weeks and across two different builds. Basically, how it started is the PC was working fine, months of no issues, then I went and played a VR game for 7 hours or so with friends (again, no issues during this), and the next day while trying to screen share with a friend I got a random restart. No BSOD, no warning, just black screen, PC rebooted. From there the current issue came into being.

I'll be playing a game, running a benchmark to see if its a piece of hardware (Heaven, Furmark, etc), and while I have no issues during the game or benchmark most of the time (there are instances where it happens during), the moment I close the program my PC half-locks up/freezes. I can move my mouse, I can use the keyboard. I can open programs or tabs, but they're blank or don't actually open - and no already open tabs or programs are accessible. I noticed the clock is also frozen at the exact minute this issue occurs.

If I'm in a game and the issue happens, I can hear the audio and people around me, but I cannot be heard, and they say I just stop. If I'm hosting the world or server, everything locks up for them.

In order to fix this I have done the following:
-Completely replaced PSU, Mobo, CPU, and SSD.
-Tried an older GPU that worked fine for years and was my backup.
-Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest86 - no errors.
-Chkdsk and SFC scan - initial windows corruption, but no recurring corruption. No disk bad sectors either.
-Reinstalled windows several times - complete wipe.
-Updated BIOS.
-Installed Easy Driver and then manually installed each of the out-of-date drivers.
-Taken out RAM two at a time (16GB) to see if the issue persists - it does with both groups.
-Fresh Windows 10 install on both SSDs - old and new - to see if drive issue. The issue persisted in both.
-Changed surge protector and wall outlet on off chance old outlet could not handle power demands. Issue persisted.

Temps are not that high, GPU barely broke 80C with the old card (1080) during a benchmark that pushed it to 100%. The new card (3070ti) never goes higher than around 70-75c for most things. CPU temps on the new build never break 70c.

Please help? Everyone I've talked to has been relatively useless.

CURRENT SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15
MOBO: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Gaming Motherboard
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 (Same as Previous Build)
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM850X
SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR 3000 (Same as Previous Build)
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series ATX Full Tower

KEYBOARD: Logitech G512
MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero

USED FOR TESTING PURPOSES:
Testing GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION 8GB

Hey all!

This is an issue that has been plaguing me for two weeks and across two different builds. Basically, how it started is the PC was working fine, months of no issues, then I went and played a VR game for 7 hours or so with friends (again, no issues during this), and the next day while trying to screen share with a friend I got a random restart. No BSOD, no warning, just black screen, PC rebooted. From there the current issue came into being.

I'll be playing a game, running a benchmark to see if its a piece of hardware (Heaven, Furmark, etc), and while I have no issues during the game or benchmark most of the time (there are instances where it happens during), the moment I close the program my PC half-locks up/freezes. I can move my mouse, I can use the keyboard. I can open programs or tabs, but they're blank or don't actually open - and no already open tabs or programs are accessible. I noticed the clock is also frozen at the exact minute this issue occurs.

If I'm in a game and the issue happens, I can hear the audio and people around me, but I cannot be heard, and they say I just stop. If I'm hosting the world or server, everything locks up for them.

In order to fix this I have done the following:
-Completely replaced PSU, Mobo, CPU, and SSD.
-Tried an older GPU that worked fine for years and was my backup.
-Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest86 - no errors.
-Chkdsk and SFC scan - initial windows corruption, but no recurring corruption. No disk bad sectors either.
-Reinstalled windows several times - complete wipe.
-Updated BIOS.
-Installed Easy Driver and then manually installed each of the out-of-date drivers.
-Taken out RAM two at a time (16GB) to see if the issue persists - it does with both groups.
-Fresh Windows 10 install on both SSDs - old and new - to see if drive issue. The issue persisted in both.
-Changed surge protector and wall outlet on off chance old outlet could not handle power demands. Issue persisted.

Temps are not that high, GPU barely broke 80C with the old card (1080) during a benchmark that pushed it to 100%. The new card (3070ti) never goes higher than around 70-75c for most things. CPU temps on the new build never break 70c.

Please help? Everyone I've talked to has been relatively useless.

CURRENT SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15
MOBO: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Gaming Motherboard
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 (Same as Previous Build)
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM850X
SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR 3000 (Same as Previous Build)
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series ATX Full Tower

KEYBOARD: Logitech G512
MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero

USED FOR TESTING PURPOSES:
Testing GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION 8GB
3rd party apps for driver is kinda no-no personally or me, since updating it manual is better cause to minimalize wrong drivers or old drivers for most of your pc components.

follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, reflash to the latest bios (with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), enable XMP (also set RttNom to 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr to 3 (or 80ohm), and RttPark to 1~3 (or 240~80ohm) for stability IF you're using 4x8gb single rank or 2X16gb Dual Ranked/2Rx8), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.xx), then reboot. after that check in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > AMD Chipset Software and see if its already ver 4.06.xx that's installed.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png